Subject: [dtn-interest] 'Endrun' on /. today

From: Kevin Fall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 09:38:06 -0400

this is on slashdot as of yesterday:

http://it-beta.slashdot.org/story/14/10/20/1822203/endrun-networks-help-in-danger-zones

---

From: "Ivancic, William D. (GRC-LCA0)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 14:35:25 +0000

I took a quick look at the github site.  Doesn't look like much here.
This doesn't appear to be based at all on the bundling concept or RFC5050.
 It is a store, carry and forward protocol.  Uses Spray and Wait. For
small groups that know each other exist. No discovery.

>From the LaTeX file:
The DTN protocol as currently designed suffers from other problems.
Message security is an optional add-on layer, rather than being a core
part of the protocol. The binary protocol is highly complex and requires a
parser to conditionally process different parts of the bundle depending on
earlier flags,<span class="k">\footnote</span><span class="nb">{</span>See
IETF RFC 5050, <span class="k">\url</span><span
class="nb">{</span>http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5050<span
class="nb">}}</span> meaning that parsing protocols must be at least
context-sensitive.<span class="k">\footnote</span><span
class="nb">{</span>This is undesirable for security functions; for more
information, see the work of the Language-theoretic Security Working Group
(Patterson, Hirsch, Bratus, Goodspeed, Sassaman, Shubina, et al) at <span
class="k">\url</span><span class="nb">{</span>http://langsec.org<span
class="nb">}</span>.<span class="nb">}</span> While the DTN concept is
highly desirable, then, the implementation is not usable in the field at
this time.</td>

******************************
William D. Ivancic
Phone 216-433-3494
Mobile 440-503-4892
http://roland.grc.nasa.gov/~ivancic

On 10/21/14 9:38 AM, "Kevin Fall" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>_______________________________________________
>dtn-interest mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/dtn-interest