Subject: [dtn-interest] CHANTS 2015 - ACM MobiCom 2015 Workshop on Challenged Networks: Online Submission is Open !

From: Karin Anna Hummel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 15:23:56 +0200

[apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CfP]

********************************************************************
*
*                         Call for Papers
*
*                  *** NEWS: ONLINE SUBMISSION OPEN ! ***
*
*                            CHANTS 2015
*               10th ACM MobiCom Workshop on Challenged Networks
*
*                     http://www.acm-chants.org/
*                   (co-located with MobiCom 2015)
*
*                           Paris, France
*                         September 11, 2015
*
*                   Submission due: May 25, 2015
* Submission link: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=chants2015
*
********************************************************************

OVERVIEW
=========

Challenged networks comprise those situations where communication is
desired, but traditional Internet architectures fail to provide it
effectively. Such networks may be characterized by intermittent
connectivity, a heterogeneous mix of nodes, frequent nodal churn,
and widely varying network conditions. Examples of challenged networks
include deployments in rural and remote areas, networks to support
emergency response operations, inter-planetary networks, sensor and
wildlife monitoring networks, underwater networks, road vehicle
networks, and, more recently, networks of micro aerial vehicles.

The applications of challenged networks range from time-critical
communications such as for disaster relief to delay-tolerant
transmission in poorly connected regions or where censorship should be
counteracted. Challenged networking has also found applications in
everyday settings, for which they were not initially conceived, such
as opportunistic networking supporting data-centric communications,
traffic offloading from cellular networks, mobile cloud computing, and
opportunistic and participatory sensing. The increasing availability
of wireless communications in embedded devices as well as integration
of technologies such as Wi-Fi direct on Android platforms and LTE’s D2D
(device-to-device) communication on general purpose mobile devices,
will further push the development of challenged networking solutions.

Challenged networking has also chartered new directions for
inter-disciplinary research, e.g., applying findings from social
networks and network science. This workshop builds on the success of
the nine previous CHANTS workshops, and WDTN 2005, and aims to
stimulate research on the most novel topics of challenged networking
research. This year’s edition encourages submission of theoretical
and experimental work, including studies of real deployment.

The workshop seeks original work presented in the form of research
papers describing new research approaches and results, as well as demo
submissions. All papers shall be forward looking, describe their
relationship to existing work, and shall argue their impact and
implications for ongoing or future research. Topics of interest
include, but are not limited to:

- Delay/disruption-tolerant networks (DTNs)
- Opportunistic communication and computing
- Architecture, design, and implementation of communication systems for
   challenged networks
- Modeling, analysis, and characterization of challenged networks and
   protocols
- Network coding in challenged networks
- Information centric and content-centric networking in challenged
   networks
- Security/trust/privacy concerns and solutions in challenged networks
- Energy-efficient communication in challenged networks
- Real-world mobility trace collection, analysis, and modeling for
   challenged environments
- Network science methods for challenged networks
- Mobile data offloading via challenged networks
- Novel challenged networking systems (e.g., networks of micro aerial
   vehicles)
- Real deployment and case studies in various stages of use
- Disrupted scenarios for challenged networks (e.g., disaster relief
   and emergency management)
- Daily use applications (e.g., mobile social networking,
   crowdsourcing, censorship evasion, sensor networks, IoT)
- Test and simulation tools for evaluating challenged network systems
- Configuration, management, and monitoring of challenged networks
- Challenged networking techniques for mobile cloud computing
- Challenged networking techniques for participatory and opportunistic
   sensing.

PAPER SUBMISSION
=================

Submitted papers must be no longer than 6 pages, and should adhere to
the standard ACM conference proceedings format. Demo proposals (to be
published as part of the proceedings) must not be longer than 2 pages
plus 1 page description of the precise setup and requirements (the
1-page setup description will not be published in the proceedings).
Reviews will be single blinded.

IMPORTANT DATES (preliminary)
=============================

Submission Deadline: May 25, 2015
Acceptance Notification: June 19, 2015
Camera Ready Due: July 3, 2015
Workshop Date: Sept. 11, 2015

PROGRAM COMMITTEE CHAIRS
========================

Katia Obraczka (UC Santa Cruz, USA)
Karin Anna Hummel (ETH Zurich, Switzerland)

TECHNICAL PROGRAM COMMITTEE (tentative)
=======================================

Mostafa Ammar (Georgia Institute of Technology, USA)
Fehmi Ben Abdesslem (SICS Swedish ICT, Sweden)
Chiara Boldrini (IIT-CNR, Italy)
Guohong Cao (The Pennsylvania State University, USA)
Marco Cello (University of Genova, Italy)
Marcelo Dias de Amorin (UPMC/LIP6, France)
Stephen Farrell (Trinity College Dublin, Ireland)
Domenico Giustiniano (IMDEA Networks Institute, Spain)
Tristan Henderson (University of St Andrews, UK)
Andrea Hess (SICS Swedish ICT, Sweden)
Andreea Hossmann-Picu (University of Bern, Switzerland)
Pan Hui (The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology)
Kyunghan Lee (UNIST (Ulsan National Institute of Science and 
Technology), Korea)
Anders Lindgren (SICS Swedish ICT, Sweden)
Mirco Musolesi (University of Birmingham and University College London, UK)
Melek Önen (Eurecom, France)
Joerg Ott (Aalto University, Finland)
Elena Pagani (Università degli Studi di Milano, Italy)
Andrea Passarella (IIT-CNR, Italy)
Thrasyvoulos Spyropoulos (Institut Eurecom, France)
Stavros Toumpis (Athens University of Economicsand Business, Greece)
Thierry Turletti (INRIA, France)
Eiko Yoneki (University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory, UK)

PUBLICITY CHAIR
================

Andreea Hossmann-Picu (University of Bern, Switzerland)

WEB CHAIR
==========

Fehmi Ben Abdesslem (Swedish Institute of Computer Science, Sweden)

STEERING COMMITTEE
===================

Kevin Almeroth (UC-Santa Barbara, USA)
Kevin Fall (Intel Research Berkeley, USA)
Stephen Farrell (Trinity College Dublin, Ireland)
Jörg Ott (Aalto University, Finland)
Andrea Passarella (CNR, Italy)