Subject: [dtn-interest] 2nd Annual InterPlanetary Networking speakers conference May 18th at Boeing's Long Bridge facility in Arlington, VA (adjacent to Washington, DC)

From: Michael Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 12:57:45 -0700

Our second annual IPN conference is launching next Monday. If you are in
the DC area, feel free to register at our EventBrite registration site. If
you cannot attend in person, the event will be webcast live on the Internet
Society's LiveStream channel: http://livestream.com/internetsociety  The
speaker's presentations will also be available for streaming on YouTube
within about a week following the event. Here's more information about the
event:

Coming May 18th, 2015!

2nd Annual IPN Speaking Conference

Showcasing Delay & Disruption Tolerant Networking (DTN):

the Emerging Standard for Space Data Communications

Last year’s IPN speaking event—Space Technology Innovations: Enabling
Exploration Above, Improving Life Below—presented how DTN can enable space
data communications as well as provide network services in constrained
terrestrial network environments. This year we are focusing upon DTN in the
space arena. Our speakers include:

   - Vint Cerf (Google VP, co-author of TCP-IP, one of the “fathers of the
   Internet—and IPN-ISOC board member) will provide an overview of
   InterPlanetary Networking.
   - The NASA/Boeing team (Brett Willman & Suzanne Davidson) working on DTN
   aboard the International Space Station
   - The NASA team (David Israel & Donald Cornwell) who concluded the very
   successful Lunar Laser Communication Demonstration in late 2013 and who are
   planning the 2017 Laser Relay Communication Demonstration.
   - Scott Burleigh (JPL’s chief DTN architect) will be explaining recent
   significant enhancements to the ION DTN distribution (the distribution
   currently in use on ISS).
   - Dr. Keith Scott leads the Consultative Consortium for Space Data
   Systems  (CCSDS) DTN working group that is standardizing DTN protocols for
   use in civilian space missions.  He will talk about the Bundle Protocol
   becoming one of the networking protocols being standardized for space
   communication as part of the Solar System Internet (the other is IP).
   - Fred Templin of Boeing will demonstrate the delay-tolerant public key
   infrastructure system Scott Burleigh of JPL developed last year (“DTKA”—the
   Delay Tolerant Key Agreement). This is a potentially important new security
   enhancement to DTN.
   - Scott Pace is the Director of the Space Policy Institute at George
   Washington University. He will be speaking about the increasing importance
   of space policies as more nation states engage and collaborate in space
   exploration.

Admission is free and breakfast, lunch and an afternoon snack will be
provided—but you MUST register to attend. Physical attendance is limited to
150 people. The event will be webcast on the Internet Society’s LiveStream
channel and presentations will be available on YouTube for VOD streaming
after the event.

The event starts at 9 a.m. Speakers conclude at 5:00 p.m. A wine and beer
reception follows immediately after and concludes at 6 p.m.