Subject: [Ecrit] Any desire to indicate who inserted location in a message?

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 15:00:09 -0600

ECRIT

I'm working on the ABNF of the Geolocation header for SIP location 
conveyance, and have discovered a means of indicating which entity 
(currently by type) inserted the location *at*that*URI*, per URI in the 
header  (i.e. this will be a header parameter, not a URI parameter).

For example, if a SIP message includes location-by-value, the Geolocation 
header would have a "cid:" URI that can have a header parameter to indicate 
whether the original phone ( SIP UAC) inserted the by-value location, which 
would be different than if an intermediary server (say a SIP proxy) inserts 
location by-reference.  Here, the Geolocation header would have a reference 
URI, which can indicate that a intermediary (and not the original phone) 
inserted the location.

Here is an example in which there are two locations in a message:

    Geolocation: <cid:[email-masked] ;inserted-by=uac>,
                 <sips:[email-masked] ;inserted-by=proxy>

The above header has 2 locations (one by-value, inserted by the phone) and 
one inserted by a proxy along the signaling path.

An interesting facet of this is the ability to indicate which location the 
message was routed on if a message has multiple locations.  I know this has 
been asked for over the years in both Geopriv and ECRIT. Here is what that 
additional header parameter could look like (notice the "message-routed-on" 
parameter associated with the location-by-reference):

    Geolocation: <cid:[email-masked] ;inserted-by=uac>,
                 <sips:[email-masked] ;inserted-by=proxy
                 ;message-routed-on>

This plays directly to the open issue we have had for some time in the case 
of more than one location within a message, answering "who inserted which 
location?" and "which was used to route the message?".

[ BTW - I'm posting similar messages to this one on the GEOPRIV, ECRIT and 
SIP lists, but not doing one large cross-posting message - as this idea has 
to get multi-list visibility]

Is this a desireable feature/function (indication)?

James

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: "Dolly, Martin C, ALABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 11:02:19 -0600

James,

I believe this would be a useful capability

Martin 

-----Original Message-----
From: James M. Polk [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 4:00 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [Ecrit] Any desire to indicate who inserted location in a
message?

ECRIT

For example, if a SIP message includes location-by-value, the
Geolocation 
header would have a "cid:" URI that can have a header parameter to
indicate 
whether the original phone ( SIP UAC) inserted the by-value location,
which 
would be different than if an intermediary server (say a SIP proxy)
inserts 
location by-reference.  Here, the Geolocation header would have a
reference 
URI, which can indicate that a intermediary (and not the original phone)

inserted the location.

The above header has 2 locations (one by-value, inserted by the phone)
and 
one inserted by a proxy along the signaling path.

An interesting facet of this is the ability to indicate which location
the 
message was routed on if a message has multiple locations.  I know this
has 
been asked for over the years in both Geopriv and ECRIT. Here is what
that 
additional header parameter could look like (notice the
"message-routed-on" 
parameter associated with the location-by-reference):

This plays directly to the open issue we have had for some time in the
case 
of more than one location within a message, answering "who inserted
which 
location?" and "which was used to route the message?".

[ BTW - I'm posting similar messages to this one on the GEOPRIV, ECRIT
and 
SIP lists, but not doing one large cross-posting message - as this idea
has 
to get multi-list visibility]

James