Subject: Re: [Ecrit] draft-rosen-ecrit-premature-disconnect-rqmts-00.txt

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 20:27:25 -0700

At 3:05 PM -0400 10/29/08, Brian Rosen wrote:

>  While I'm sympathetic to the generalized notion that users retain control,
>  I'm persuaded by people who actually have experience that it actually works
>  better to have the PSAP in control.

Obviously, we should pay attention to actual experience in handling 
emergency calls, since this is valuable input, but, presumably, such 
experience has been with POTS, and specifically, circuit-switched 
networks, dumb handsets with no UI to speak of, a familiar 
handset-and-switchhook mechanism, etc.  So, I think we may need to 
put more effort into extrapolating the important aspects of the user 
experience of the caller and the call-taker, rather than attempting 
to emulate the call (or signalling) behavior.

It seems to me that in the case of many SIP devices, it would be 
better to put as much of this functionality in the UI as possible, 
rather than into signalling.  I'm not a human factors expert, so I 
can't say what UI would be most comprehensible in an emergency, or 
best able to steer panicked callers into not terminating a call, 
while allowing those stuck in a queue or who otherwise really want to 
disconnect, to do so.  (But then, we don't do such UI detail here 
anyway.)

-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------
For best results, be sure to double clutch when you paradigm shift.
_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit