Subject: [Ecrit] phone-BCP: LoST server configuration

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 13:59:30 -0500

Working through the unauthenticated case, I think the following needs  
to be better addressed in the phone-BCP:

Assume you have no VSP; this leaves only DHCP (RFC 5223) as a way for  
the UA to obtain LoST server information. Thus, an ISP has two choices  
in order for this to work:

- Provide a DHCP entry pointing to a LoST server, not necessarily  
operated by itself.

- Have an outbound proxy that can recognize emergency calls and  
perform a LoST resolution. (This isn't as good, as that makes dial  
string recognition on the UA harder.)

I don't see any other alternatives if we want to support this model,  
given that manual configuration is not a real option.

The current BCP doesn't quite seem to address the case where all  
attempts to locate a LoST server fail, as far as I can tell.

Henning

Btw, AN-26 and SP-25 are missing periods at the end of the sentence...

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit