Subject: How do you implement the receiving process for EDI messages accor ding to the standard?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 16:26:13 +0200

Hi folks!

I'm wondering how to implement the receiving process for EDI messages.
You use SMTP to send messages, but what do you use in the receiving
part? POP? 

I looked for a hint in AS1, but couldn't find anything. Is this defined
somewhere in AS1?

Thank you very much for your help!

Cheers,
Christian

---

From: Gunther Schadow <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 17:08:44 -0500 (EST)

Christian,

> You use SMTP to send messages, but what do you use in the receiving

Well, it all depends on your situation. You have two options: if you
have a standing internet connection, you can use automatic processing
of incomming messages.  On Unix operating systems with sendmail this
is very straight forward: you just forward the incoming mail straight
to a handler process.  If you want to know more about this, feel free
to ask.  I don't know what you do on NT, but it *should* work pretty
much analogously to Unix.  Alternatively, you can set up a dedicated
SMTP server on a dedicated machine, but that's more of a last resort
method.

You should be using POP only if you are not directly connected to the
Internet.  With POP the EDI server must poll the incomming message
queue for new messages on a regular basis, this is definitely a last
resort way to handle things, except if batch processing is your only
concern.  The nice thing is that in the least featured environment you
can use EDIINT AS#1 via POP, but in any more serious application which
can afford a standing Internet connection you don't want to use
POP. Same holds for IMAP or similar message queue polling methods.

regards
-Gunther

Gunther Schadow ----------------------------------- http://aurora.rg.iupui.edu
Regenstrief Institute for Health Care
1001 W 10th Street RG5, Indianapolis IN 46202, Phone: (317) 630 7960
[email-masked] ---------------------- #include <usual/disclaimer>