Subject: Pileline operation mode now unneeded in final AS2 IMO

From: "Dale Moberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:59:30 -0700

Caro Sebastien noted about

> In [4], sections 5.4.1, options for large file processing
> are discussed for SMTP transport. For HTTP, large files should be >
handled correctly by the TCP layer. However, [3] sections 3.5 and 3.6 >
discuss some options for compressing or chunking entities to be >
transferred. [3] Section 8.1.2.2 discusses a pipelining option that is >
useful for segmenting large amounts of data.

I might be missing something but TCP layer doesn't have anything 
to do with handling large files. As far as I understood HTTP/1.1,
segmenting data is only possible with the use of 'ranges', and 'ranges'
are only available for GET 
responses. Segmenting data will not be possible with AS2. Pipelining
only allows a client to make multiple requests without waiting for each
response.

[also assures that the responses come back in order...]

======================

I think the TCP layer statement may be misleading. The rewording might
be:

"While TCP-based communication sets no intrinsic limit on size of files
transferred,[3] sections 3.5 and 3.6 [etc.]"

Section 8.1.2.2 probably can be omitted. If so, omit the reference here
to that section.

Early drafts had mentioned a pipeline mode of operation for either 1. a
large number of separate messages to the same
place or 2. operation in synchronous mode involving Request
MDN-bundled-with-Response followed by MDN. (sequence of 2 complete HTTP
request-response pairs). We no longer discuss this mode of operation, it
is not tested in interoperability trials, and
so we should probably trim it out at this point.  If people want to
operate in this mode, they can by private agreement outside the AS2
profiel. So I would vote to just scrap mention
of pipelining mode at all in the final version.

Dale Moberg