Subject: AS2 Reliability Draft for "Once and Only Once" Delivery

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:44:57 -0400

A new Internet Draft addressing reliable delivery of AS2 messages is 
available at: 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-duker-as2-reliability-00.txt       for review and discussion.

The purpose of the draft is to define ways to ensure that AS2 messages are 
delivered "once and only once". One key aspect is to ensure that AS2 
implementations do not pass "Duplicate Messages" on to back-end business 
applications. The ultimate goal is to gain agreement on standard 
approaches so that all AS2 software implementations can deliver this 
functionality. We look forward to comments and suggestions from all 
interested parties.

John Duker              Dale Moberg
Procter & Gamble        Cyclone Commerce

---

From: "Shan Harter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:41:07 -0700

We really don't want to keep retrying if receiving party did receive AS2
message but NO MDN is required:

"message, with the same content and the same Message-ID value is sent 
again. This operation is referred to as a resend of the message. This 
document will suggest guidelines to prevent AS2 software 
implementations that receive duplicate messages from distributing 
that message to back-end business applications, as well as guidelines 
on resend intervals and resend counts for various modes of AS2 
operation. Resending ends when the MDN is received", when a HTTP 200 OK
is received when NO MDN is requested, "or the resend 
count is reached."

Shan
Regards,
 
Shan Harter
PEBS, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2005 7:45 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: AS2 Reliability Draft for "Once and Only Once" Delivery 

A new Internet Draft addressing reliable delivery of AS2 messages is
available at: 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-duker-as2-reliability-00.txt
for review and discussion. 

The purpose of the draft is to define ways to ensure that AS2 messages
are delivered "once and only once". One key aspect is to ensure that AS2
implementations do not pass "Duplicate Messages" on to back-end business
applications. The ultimate goal is to gain agreement on standard
approaches so that all AS2 software implementations can deliver this
functionality. We look forward to comments and suggestions from all
interested parties. 

John Duker                Dale Moberg 

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:
This message and any of the attached documents contain privileged and 
confidential information only for the use of the individual or entity 
that was the intended recipient.  If you are not the  intended recipient 
you may not read, copy, distribute, retain or use this information. If 
you have received this message and any of the attached documents in 
error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and then 
delete this message.  Thank you.