Subject: Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-rtcweb-alpn-03 (Was: Re: Gen-ART review ofdraft-ietf-rtcweb-alpn-03)

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 21:31:20 -0400

Thanks for your review, Russ!

> In several places, the document says: "These confidentiality protections
> do not apply to data that is sent using data channels."  It took me a
> moment to figure out what was being said.  I think it would really help
> the reader to say at the beginning something like: "The confidentiality
> protections ensure that media is protected from other applications, but
> the confidentiality protections do not extend to traffic on the data
> channels."
> 
> Section 3 includes this paragraph:
> 
>   Generally speaking, ensuring confidentiality depends on
>   authenticating the communications peer.  This mechanism explicitly
>   does not define a specific authentication method; a WebRTC endpoint
>   that accepts a session with this ALPN identifier MUST respect
>   confidentiality no matter what identity is attributed to a peer.
> 
> I understand why authentication and confidentiality are often used
> together.  However, it is very unclear to me why there ought to be a
> linkage between c-webrtc and authentication since this service really
> is only a promise to not share media with other applications.
> 
> A similar discussion in the security considerations talks about
> assurance that the "media was delivered to the user that was
> authenticated."  Again, if there is no authentication, I do not see
> how the assurance associated with this mechanism changes.

I agree with the above points.

Authors, have you seen these are you preparing any edits?

Jari

> Nits:
> 
> After reading the whole document, I went back and read the Abstract
> again.  I do not think it captures the real intent of the document.
> I have tried to provide an alternative, but it probably needs further
> work:
> 
>   This document specifies two Application Layer Protocol Negotiation
>   (ALPN) labels for use with Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS)
>   and Web Real-Time Communications (WebRTC).  With the first label, a
>   DTLS session is used to establish keys for Secure Real-time Transport
>   Protocol (SRTP), known as DTLS-SRTP.  The second label also uses
>   DTLS-SRTP, but the peers also agree to maintain the confidentiality
>   of the media by not sharing it with other applications.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Gen-art mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2016 12:05:20 +1000

Hi Russ, sorry for missing this.  I have a pull request open against
my spec with the changes I've made.

https://github.com/martinthomson/drafts/pull/31

On 19 April 2016 at 05:35, Russ Housley <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Minor Concerns:
>
> I think it would really help

Yes, this is a good change.  I have adopted it.

> is only a promise to not share media with other applications.

I've trimmed down the text on authentication.  You are right that it
basically doesn't matter here.

> again.  I do not think it captures the real intent of the document.

I've taken a variation on your text.  I think that it's a better framing.