Subject: Contractual Rules again

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 04:08:54 -0400

I find myself repeating a request for contractual privacy rules.
It occurs again in draft-morris-geopriv-core-02.txt

I think this should be refined.  I think there are three elements:
1. A notice to the observer that the lo is subject to a written
set of restrictions on the use of the object.  This is a
binary element and is the only required element
2. An (optional) uri which contains at least a facsimile of the
written rules. This is the preferred way to provide the rules
3. A freeform text element which could either actually contain
the rule, or provide another reference to the rules
which for some reason are not available on the web.

Brian

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 05:13:00 -0400

I would like to better understand who would send this reference to a 
contract. I can't imagine that if I send my location to my service 
provider that they will accept an object with a contract, as mine will 
likely say "if this goes to anybody I don't like, you will be liable for 
$1mio. and the first-born child of the CEO".

I can see this for distribution of information to individual recipients, 
but this again raises the issue of what the contract can say. If I can't 
read the contract on my pager, I don't want to incur unlimited 
liability. Thus, the automatic rules have to offer 'safe harbor' - if I 
don't violate them, I can't be sued.