Subject: [Geopriv] Protocol Action: 'Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol Option for Coordinate-based Location Configuration Information' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 14:44:17 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol Option for Coordinate-based Location 
   Configuration Information '
   <draft-ietf-geopriv-dhcp-lci-option-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Geographic Location/Privacy Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ted Hardie and Ned Freed.

Technical Summary
 
This document specifies a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol
Option for the geographic location of the client, to be provided by 
 the server.    The goal of this option is to enable a wired Ethernet host
to provide its location (to an emergency responder, as one example). 
Wireless hosts can utilize this option to gain knowledge of the 
location of the radio access point used during host configuration, 
but will need other mechanisms, such as GPS,  to gain full knowledge
of their locations.
 
Working Group Summary
 
There was significant discussion within the working group about how
this work related to the privacy mechanisms proposed by geopriv's
requirements document.

This discussion eventually yielded consensus that this work was
inherently about populating a location object using dhcp, rather
than passing a location object with a using protocol.  Once this
consensus was reached, working group discussion on the details
of the protocol and how it fit into the geopriv framework were
without significant dissent.

Protocol Quality
 
This document was reviewed for the IESG by Ted Hardie

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv