Subject: [hybi] WS port with BOSH-like fallback?

From: Greg Wilkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 10:49:25 +1100

So tell me again why we don't just ask IANA for a websocket port?

Browsers can try to port and if it fails to connect they can fall back to
something like BOSH over port 80.
This get's us through firewalls and keep port 80 for HTTP.

I think that is the right technical solution (use ports for what ports were
designed for) and avoids the growing conflict over usage of port 80.

cheers

---

From: "Alakkad, Achuth (GE Healthcare)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 14:44:03 +0530

To me the main advantage of websocket is that, it makes use of exisiting
accepted port (80). Thus not affecting any intermediatory devices, such
as firewal configuration. If we are going to go with an independent port
for websockets, then will it start of a monotonous rework for those
devices ( like firewall, proxy etc..).

________________________________

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Greg Wilkins
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2010 5:19 AM
To: Hybi
Subject: [hybi] WS port with BOSH-like fallback?

Browsers can try to port and if it fails to connect they can fall back
to something like BOSH over port 80.
This get's us through firewalls and keep port 80 for HTTP.

I think that is the right technical solution (use ports for what ports
were designed for) and avoids the growing conflict over usage of port
80.

cheers

---

From: Brodie Thiesfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 23:53:18 +0900

> designed for) and avoids the growing conflict over usage of port 80.

+1

If WS does become popular and necessary (like HTTPS) then over time
the WS port will be opened up in more locations. Clients should prefer
the dedicated port, and when not available, support fallback to an
attempted upgrade/connect via port 80.

Brodie

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 08:36:19 -0700

> This get's us through firewalls and keep port 80 for HTTP.

Agreed.

BTW, IANA has port 5280 registered for BOSH, although it's often served
up on port 80 or something else...

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/