Subject: Re: [I18n-discuss] Mappings for IDNA2008 ?

From: "John R Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Feb 2019 17:58:19 -0500

In article <[email-masked]> you write:
>I'm still trying to understand how you know what the locale of the
>various network identifiers are.

Here's a suggestion that should make everyone unhappy.

If you're in an environment with a user and a locale, like a phone app
or a web browser, use a local mapping to get U-labels and send them
along.  Or I suppose if that's too much javascript, send the locale
along with the unmapped text to the server with the mapping tables which
maps to U-labels.

If you're deep inside a server getting strings out of web pages or
files and it's not mapped, too late.

R's,
John

---

From: "Patrik Fältström" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2019 08:41:58 +0100

> Here's a suggestion that should make everyone unhappy.

No, it makes me happy!

> along with the unmapped text to the server with the mapping tables which

Exactly!

> files and it's not mapped, too late.

Bingo!

A string is mapped "whenever it enters the system". "Within the system" it should be mapped already and must be either A-LABEL or U-LABEL.

   Patrik