Subject: [icalendar] Registration of new iCalendar property

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 16:20:32 -0700

Hi,
As per the requirements of the iCalendar IANA registration procedures I am 
requesting approval of a new iCalendar property registration. This property 
is being registered by draft-daboo-et-al-icalendar-in-xml-09. In 
particular, Section 7.3 lists the new items and the section where its 
template is defined.

Note: I am one of the designated expert reviewers for this registry but 
will recuse myself since I am a co-author of this document.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Bernard Desruisseaux <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 17:47:24 -0700 (PDT)

Here's my review of section 4.2 of draft-daboo-et-al-icalendar-in-xml-10:

1- Change:

    Purpose: To embed XML-encoded calendar data in the iCalendar format

to:

    Purpose: To embed extended XML-encoded iCalendar data in the iCalendar format

2- Change:

    Conformance: The property can appear on any iCalendar component.

to:

    Conformance: This property can be specified multiple times in any
       calendar component.

3- Text should make it clear whether the value can include an XML 
declaration or not (i.e., <?xml version="1.0" ... ?>).

4- May want to remove or relax the restriction on "X-" iCalendar 
extension property in the following paragraph, since one never can tell 
whether there is such an extension being used out there.

    The "XML"
    property MUST NOT be used to contain properties that are already
    defined in iCalendar, or properties that use the "X-" iCalendar
    extension property syntax.

5- Change:

    Note that the source XML may contain characters not allowed in
    iCalendar such as control characters.

to:

    Note that the source XML may contain characters not allowed in
    "TEXT" property values.

It might also be a good idea to talk about the special characters that 
can simply be escaped with a BACKSLASH..

6- Change:

    There can be more than one "XML" property present for a given
    iCalendar object.  The ordering of "XML" properties is not preserved
    in the conversion between xCal and iCalendar.

to:

    The ordering of "XML" properties is not preserved in the conversion
    between xCal and iCalendar.

7- The example is not a valid iCalendar object.  DTSTART is missing the 
VALUE parameter (i.e., DTSTART;*VALUE=DATE*:20081006).  There is 
actually no need to specify a complete iCalendar object as an example.  
Please consider providing a complete XML example instead (i.e., without 
"...").

Cheers,
Bernard

On 5/25/2011 1:53 PM, Amanda Baber via RT wrote:
> Hi Bernard,
>
> As one of the designated experts for iCalendar, can you review this
> proposed registration for us?
>
> thanks,
>
> Amanda Baber
> IANA
>
> ===
>
> Hi,
> As per the requirements of the iCalendar IANA registration procedures I
> am requesting approval of a new iCalendar property registration. This
> property is being registered by draft-daboo-et-al-icalendar-in-xml-09.
> In particular, Section 7.3 lists the new items and the section where its
> template is defined.
>

---

From: Phillip Mienk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 18:29:43 -0700

I'm new to this list and in looking over the draft, I have a question about
the fundamental intent of iana-tokens.  In my reading of rfc5545 I was under
the impression that properties (and by extension iana-tokens) were meant to
encode semantic information.  Is this inference in error?

It appears to me that the concept of xml-encoding is akin to the difference
between a date and date-time.  In the same way that the start and end of an
appointment are encoded by DTSTART and DTEND as opposed to some 'DATETIME'
or 'DATE' property.  I would think that the semantic title of the content of
the xml-encoded information would be the intended token/property name and
the encoding be communicated via parameter.

Please let me know where I have strayed in my understanding.

-- Phillip Mienk

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Bernard Desruisseaux <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> 4- May want to remove or relax the restriction on "X-" iCalendar extension
> property in the following paragraph, since one never can tell whether there
> is such an extension being used out there.
>
>    The "XML"
> It might also be a good idea to talk about the special characters that can
> simply be escaped with a BACKSLASH..
>
>
> 6- Change:
>
> VALUE parameter (i.e., DTSTART;*VALUE=DATE*:20081006).  There is actually
> no need to specify a complete iCalendar object as an example.  Please
> consider providing a complete XML example instead (i.e., without "...").
>
> Cheers,
> Bernard
>
> _______________________________________________
> icalendar mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/icalendar
>
>

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 07:09:33 -0700

Hi Bernard,

>    Purpose: To embed extended XML-encoded iCalendar data in the iCalendar

Fixed.

>    Conformance: This property can be specified multiple times in any

Fixed.

> declaration or not (i.e., <?xml version="1.0" ... ?>).

I have taken text from the vcardxml spec that states clearly that the 
embedded XML must be version 1.0. Hence there is no need for the <?xml ...> 
declaration.

>    extension property syntax.

Fixed by removing.

> can simply be escaped with a BACKSLASH..

Fixed.

>    between xCal and iCalendar.

Fixed.

> VALUE parameter (i.e., DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20081006).  There is actually

Fixed. I have included an example for the property only, but have added a 
more complete sample of xml, including some backslash escaping.

Please find attached an HTML diff with the proposed changes. Let me know if 
this addresses all your comments and I will submit the new draft.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 10:38:41 -0700

Hi Bernard,

--On May 27, 2011 7:09:33 AM -0700 Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Please find attached an HTML diff with the proposed changes. Let me know
> if this addresses all your comments and I will submit the new draft.

Updated diff attached. This addresses one other issue related to clarifying 
the scope of XML extension elements converted into iCalendar by addition of 
some text in Section 4.1.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 15:25:37 -0600

> will recuse myself since I am a co-author of this document.

That seems appropriate. We'll await Bernard's review.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/