From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 23:22:32 -0800

id OAA00306; Wed, 20 Mar 2002 14:32:42 +0900
Subject: [idn] Re: I don't want to be facing 8-bit bugs in 2013
To: "D. J. Bernstein" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 14:32:41 +0859 ()
CC: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4ME+ PL68 (25)]
Sender: [email-masked]
Precedence: bulk

D. J. Bernstein;

> Paul Robinson writes:
> > You tell him that although it's gobbledygook to people without greek
> > alphabet support, it will still work. It's not convenient, but it WILL
> > work. Guaranteed.
> 
> False. IDNA does _not_ work. IDNA causes interoperability failures.

IDNA does _not_ work, because Unicode does not work in International
context.

> People who say that IDN is purely a DNS issue are confused.

It's purely a cultural issue.

> In fact, the cost of fixing UTF-8 displays is much _smaller_ than the
> cost of fixing IDNA displays. UTF-8 has been around for many years, has
> built up incredible momentum (as illustrated by RFC 2277), and already
> works in a huge number of programs.

In international context, it is technically impossible to properly
display Unicode characters.

There is no implementation exist.

While some implementations work in some localized context, local
character set serves better for the context.

Masataka Ohta