Subject: [idn] Re: I don't want to be facing 8-bit bugs in 2013

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 08:43:28 +0859 ()

Erkki I. Kolehmainen;

> The use of local character sets (encoding) is doomed for particularly ww
> information interchange.

Interestingly enough, ww information interchange is working very
well with local character sets.

The reason is because only people sharing a language, a scripting
system and a character encoding system join each exchange, regardless
of whether it is ww or intranational.

For example, ww IETF communication is with English, Latin script and
ASCII. Introduction of ISO-8859-1 or Unicode does not make IETF use
Finnish.

Your attempt to put ISO-8859-1 characters is not acceptable for me
and your mail is filtered to be pure ASCII by my mailer, which is
fair because many of us have no way to input non-ASCII ISO-8859-1
characters.

						Masataka Oha

---

From: "James Seng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:59:36 +0800

While the discussion of the use of various character set is interesting
topic, one which is also of interest to IDN WG, such prolonged discussion
are better carried out in a forum which is dedicated to this, such as
[email-masked], a list which is formed to talk about the
generic problem of I18N and L10N in IETF, and not IDN.

Please bring it over to the other list and when/if there is a conclusion,
please keep the IDN informed.

Thanks.

-James Seng

---

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 16:27:23 +0859 ()

James;

Trying to reply your mail, my mailer says:

	[Charset Windows-1252 unsupported, skipping...]

so, could you learn not to Microsoft centric and to use proper charset
for the International discussion of IETF?

> generic problem of I18N and L10N in IETF, and not IDN.

I believe IDN, or bogosity of it, worthes attracting generic attention
of IETF.

> please keep the IDN informed.

As you could have seen, on IETF mailing list, Harald and I have, at
least, agreed that, if you use unicode based encoding, local context
(or locale) must be carried out of band

I think Harald's language tag is highly semantical and is not
useful for purely lexical (not even syntactic) issues such as
charset disambiguation or space elimination for format=flowed.

For example, the follwing Japanese text in Romaji script:

	IDN tte zenzen dame

follows, as you can easily guess, usual folding rules for Latin-based
scripts.

But, anyway, the discussion so far in IETF list is enough to deny IDN.

I'm happy to discontinue the thread, then.

							Masataka Ohta

PS

I have found a theory to deny PKI and to explain why public key
cryptograpy is not so polular dispite the efforts of ISO, which will
destory entire business of a company or companies owing several
important TLDs.

So, don't bother to say that there are so many so-called-international-
but-actuallly-local domain names registered.