Subject: Re: [idn] Moving Towards UTF8 vs ASCII(ACE) Forever

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 17:19:41 -0500

>A plugin could be "non-nonsensibly" created to intercept
>all domain requests and responses and doing the encode and decode for ACE
>accordingly.  This is all we need to make ACE work.

Provably false: well-coded applications know the limitations of domain 
names, and do not even attempt to make requests for non-ASCII names.

/===============================================================\
|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer            |
[email-masked]   |Incentive Systems, Inc.       |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.       |
|===============================================================|
|"She gets kidnapped. He gets killed. But it turns out okay." --|
|_Princess Bride_ poster                                        |
\===============================================================/

---

From: "Edmon Chung" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 17:30:27 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
> names, and do not even attempt to make requests for non-ASCII names.

First of all, I disagree with the "well-coded" part because I believe a
well-coded application will do the dns request as is and allow the dns
response to determine the validity of a domain name.  Secondly, if this is
the case, then the plugin should be intercepting the input to the app and
not the output.  It is still a possibility.

The precise issue we are discussing is how well we need to make ACE.  Do we
accept leakages and work on UTF8 solution so that we will reach there
sooner, or we spend 5-10 yrs figuring out ACE and then spend the next 50
years whining about it and moving it to UTF?

Edmon