Subject: [idn] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idn-punycode-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 07:07:57 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internationalized Domain Name Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Punycode version 0.3.3
	Author(s)	: A. Costello
	Filename	: draft-ietf-idn-punycode-01.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 01-Mar-02
	
Punycode is a simple and efficient transfer encoding syntax designed
for use with Internationalized Domain Names in Applications [IDNA].
It uniquely and reversibly transforms a Unicode string [UNICODE]
into an ASCII string.  ASCII characters in the Unicode string are
represented literally, and non-ASCII characters are represented by
ASCII characters that are allowed in host name labels (letters,
digits, and hyphens).  Bootstring is a general algorithm that allows
a string of basic code points to uniquely represent any string of
code points drawn from a larger set.  Punycode is an instance of
Bootstring that uses particular parameter values appropriate for
IDNA.  This document specifies Bootstring and the parameter values
for Punycode.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idn-punycode-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-idn-punycode-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idn-punycode-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 08:18:36 -0800

> Filename : draft-ietf-idn-punycode-01.txt

When an announcement like this comes in, it would be really nice for the
abstract to mention what has changed since the last version.  No need
for lengthy explanations or complicated expressions, just something
simple like "The conformance rules have been clarified" or "Some
spelling and grammatical errors were cleaned up."  This would save time
when perusing the new version.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California

---

From: "James Seng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 08:10:07 +0800

The diff and changes are already describe in the summary which Marc posted a
few days ago, just in case anyone wonders what happened to this.

-James Seng