Subject: Re: [idn] IRIs ought to use internationalized *host* names

From: Dan Oscarsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 09:59:49 +0100

>
>> Getting back to IRIs and URIs:  I propose that conversion of an IRI
>> to URI involve applying ToASCII to each host label.  This would allow
>> conversion of any IRI to a URI without changing the syntax of URIs.  In
>> contrast, the method proposed in draft-ietf-idn-uri-01 would change the
>> URI syntax.
>
>I like this idea.
>
>If this is done (i.e. IRI goes thru ToASCII for host label), then we
>basically saying for proxy and Host:, you should start from URI not IRI.
>

All fields should use an URI with all characters encoded using UTF-8.
No ToASCII, no %-encoding. Pure UTF-8. Web servers have to update their
software
so it can handle that instead of updating them to handle ACE and
%-encoded values.
Why make it more complex than needed?

   Dan

---

From: "James Seng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 17:12:39 +0800

URI, according to RFC2396, is already %-escape encoded.

If you just want UTF-8 no escaping, then you are either (a) not talking
about URI or (b) trying to change URI definition.

Personally, I prefer (a). I would love to see a IRI which is NFC-UTF-8 only
without %-escaping. URI can do ToASCII & %-escaping for backward
compatibility if they wish.

-James Seng