Subject: Research/ops forum at October NANOG

From: Susan Harris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:50:10 -0400 (EDT)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
   
			   CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS    
                                  NANOG 26              

                              GENERAL SESSION        
                                 TUTORIALS           
                     SPECIAL RESEARCH/OPERATIONS FORUM             

                            October 27-29, 2002

                     * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The North American Network Operators' Group (NANOG) will hold its 26th
meeting October 27-29, 2002, in Eugene, Oregon. The meeting will be hosted
by the University of Oregon and Sprint.  Registration opens September 4.
 
NANOG 26 is a special occasion - the first joint meeting with ARIN, the
American Registry for Internet Numbers. ARIN manages IP numbers for North
and South America, the Caribbean, and sub-Saharan Africa. NANOG will meet
as usual from Sunday to Tuesday, and ARIN from Wednesday to Friday.

NANOG conferences provide a forum for the coordination and dissemination
of technical information related to large-scale (i.e.,
national/international) Internet backbone networking technologies and
operational practices.  Meetings are held three times each year, and
include two days of short presentations, plus afternoon/evening tutorial
sessions and special forums. The meetings are informal, with an emphasis
on relevance to current backbone engineering practices. NANOG conferences
draw over 500 participants, mainly consisting of engineering staff from
national service providers, and members of the research and education
community.  

The meeting will be held at the Hilton Eugene and Conference Center. For
more information about NANOG meetings, schedules, and logistics, see:

     http://www.nanog.org
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS

NANOG invites presentations on backbone engineering, coordination, and
research topics. Presentations should highlight issues relating to
technology already deployed or soon to be deployed in core Internet
backbones and exchange points.

Previous meetings have included presentations on:

    - Backbone traffic engineering 
    - Inter-provider security and routing protocol authentication 
    - Routing scalability in backbone infrastructures 
    - Security issues for the Internet core 
    - Routing policy specification and backbone router configuration 
    - Building large-scale measurement infrastructure 
    - Cooperative inter-provider caching 
    - Alternatives to hot-potato routing 
    - Recommendations on queue management and congestion avoidance 
    - Experience with differentiated services 
    - Inter-domain multicast deployment 
    - Backbone network failure analysis 

Tutorials have covered topics such as:

    - IP traffic management
    - BGP multihoming guide
    - ISP security: real world techniques 
    - IP multicast technologies

The special research/operations forum offers researchers a short time slot
to present ongoing work for evaluation and feedback from the operations
community. Topics include routing, network performance, statistical
measurement and analysis, and protocol development and implementation.
Researchers from academia, government, and industry are invited to
participate.
  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HOW TO PRESENT

Submit a detailed abstract or outline describing the presentation in email
to [email-masked].  The deadline for proposals is September 16,
2002.  While the majority of speaking slots will be filled by September
16, a limited number of slots will be available after that date for topics
that are exceptionally timely and important. Submissions will be reviewed
by the NANOG Program Committee, and presenters will be notified of
acceptance by September 30, 2002.

NANOG also welcomes suggestions/recommendations for tutorials, panels and
other presentation topics.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------