Subject: bgp19 issue 13

From: "Tom Petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 20:30:24 -0000

Sue

I am concerned we may lose part of issue 13; I raised this as there
being seven places where the next state was missing (which I see as
wrong for the FSM we have).

Of the seven, I think two have consensus, three you have proposals
outstanding but two may be slipping away.

For Connect state, events 15/16 we have consensus ie stay in Connect
state (issue 13.1)

For Active state, events 15/16, we have consensus ie stay in Active
state (issue 13.3)

For Connect state event 14, you have proposed rejecting the connection
and awaiting the connect retry timer; I assume that this means stay in
Connect state (fine with me - issue 13.2)

For Open Confirm event 18, Jeff proposed discarding the FSM, you
suggested Idle state (I prefer Idle - issue 13.6)

For Active state event 17 (TCP failure), you have asked implementors
for Active v Idle (without much response on the list); I think rather
that as and when we have consensus for Connect state event 17 (Issue
45) where there was a next state but we have now refined that
depending on the Open Delay timer, the logic we arrive at for Connect
state may also apply to Active state for event 17.

But that leaves two which still concern me (and which I think of as
part of issue 13.4).

Active state (waiting for a connection) event 13 (SYN received) I
think we should respond as for the Connect state (ie send SYN-ACK) and
stay in Active state

Active state event 14 (TCP connection invalid) I would go back to Idle
state - we haven't reached first base with this peer - but the
alternative would be to stay put in Active (like we stay put in
Connect for Connect state event 14).

You have suggested events 13 and 14 be optional; fine, but we still
need next states for them.

Tom Petch
[email-masked]

---

From: "Tom Petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 21:35:12 -0000

Sue and Andrew

In case you wondered, I sent this before I got the revised Issues 2.2
list.  Having now read the list, I still have the concern about
missing next state for Active state events 13, 14 and 17.

Issue 46 did also pick up the question of what state we go to from
Active event 17 and suggested Idle.  Yes fine, but it also said move
the discussion to 13.4 and I see nothing in 13.4 about it; so I fear
this may be lost.

Also, from the issues list, I see I never received Sue's last e-mail
on Issue 45, Connect state event 17 which I reference below.

Tom Petch