Subject: [Idr] Protocol Action: 'Dissemination of flow specification rules' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 07:53:59 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Dissemination of flow specification rules '
   <draft-ietf-idr-flow-spec-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Ross Callon.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idr-flow-spec-09.txt

Technical Summary

   This document defines a new BGP NLRI encoding format that can be used
   to distribute traffic flow specifications.  This allows the routing
   system to propagate information regarding more-specific components of
   the traffic aggregate defined by an IP destination prefix.

   Additionally it defines two applications of that encoding format.
   One that can be used to automate inter-domain coordination of traffic
   filtering, such as what is required in order to mitigate
   (distributed) denial of service attacks.  And a second application to
   traffic filtering in the context of a BGP/MPLS VPN service.

   The information is carried via the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP),
   thereby reusing protocol algorithms, operational experience and
   administrative processes such as inter-provider peering agreements.

Working Group Summary

   Consensus on the technology was not an issue. There was an IPR
disclosure that occurred after WG LC.

Document Quality

There are multiple, interoperable implementations. There were no LC
comments during WG LC although the technology and draft have been known,
discussed and available for many years.   

See:draft-raszuk-idr-flow-spec-impl-00

Personnel

   Yakov Rekhter is the Document Shepherd for this document. Dave Ward is
the Area Director.  

RFC editor's note

Please change Robert Raszuk's email address to be [email-masked]. 

IANA Note

Future assignments beyond what is specified in the draft are to be made
using either the Standards Action process defined in [RFC2434], the Early
IANA Allocation process defined in [RFC4020], or the "First Come First
Served" policy defined in [RFC2434].