Subject: [Idr] I-D Action:draft-ietf-idr-best-external-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 23:30:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Advertisement of the best external route in BGP
	Author(s)       : P. Marques, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-idr-best-external-02.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2010-08-07

The base BGP specifications prevent a BGP speaker from advertising
any route that is not the best route for a BGP destination.  This
document specifies a modification of this rule.  Routes are divided
into two categories, "external" and "internal".  A specification is
provided for choosing a "best external route" (for a particular value
of the Network Layer Reachability Information).  A BGP speaker is
then allowed to advertise its "best external route" to its internal
BGP peers, even if that is not the best route for the destination.
The document explains why advertising the best external route can
improve convergence time without causing routing loops.  Additional
benefits include reduction of inter-domain churn and avoidance of
permanent route oscillation.  The document also generalizes the
notions of "internal" and "external" so that they can be applied to
Route Reflector Clusters and Autonomous System Confederations.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idr-best-external-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.