Subject: [Idr] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC4271 (3366)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 02:06:55 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC4271,
"A Border Gateway Protocol 4 (BGP-4)".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=4271&eid=3366

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Shashank Tyagi <[email-masked]>

Section: 8.2.2

Original Text
-------------
If a TcpConnectionFails event (Event 18) is received, the local
      system:

        - closes the BGP connection,

        - restarts the ConnectRetryTimer,

        - continues to listen for a connection that may be initiated by
          the remote BGP peer, and

        - changes its state to Active.

Corrected Text
--------------
If a TcpConnectionFails event (Event 18) is received, the local
      system:

        - closes the BGP connection,

        - sets the HoldTimer to 0,

        - restarts the ConnectRetryTimer,

        - continues to listen for a connection that may be initiated by
          the remote BGP peer, and

        - changes its state to Active.

Notes
-----
HoldTimer should only be used to control time in between BGP packets. 
Also in this case it can lead to case in ACTIVE state where HoldTimer expires before the ConnectRetryTimer leading to IDLE state.

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC4271 (draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-26)
--------------------------------------
Title               : A Border Gateway Protocol 4 (BGP-4)
Publication Date    : January 2006
Author(s)           : Y. Rekhter, Ed., T. Li, Ed., S. Hares, Ed.
Category            : DRAFT STANDARD
Source              : Inter-Domain Routing
Area                : Routing
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG