Subject: [Idr] Last Call: <draft-ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps-18.txt> (The BGP Tunnel Encapsulation Attribute) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 15:41:23 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Inter-Domain Routing WG (idr) to
consider the following document: - 'The BGP Tunnel Encapsulation Attribute'
  <draft-ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps-18.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-10-01. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   RFC 5512 defines a BGP Path Attribute known as the "Tunnel
   Encapsulation Attribute".  This attribute allows one to specify a set
   of tunnels.  For each such tunnel, the attribute can provide the
   information needed to create the tunnel and the corresponding
   encapsulation header.  The attribute can also provide information
   that aids in choosing whether a particular packet is to be sent
   through a particular tunnel.  RFC 5512 states that the attribute is
   only carried in BGP UPDATEs that use the "Encapsulation Subsequent
   Address Family (Encapsulation SAFI)".  This document deprecates the
   Encapsulation SAFI (which has never been used in production), and
   specifies semantics for the attribute when it is carried in UPDATEs
   of certain other SAFIs.  This document adds support for additional
   Tunnel Types, and allows a remote tunnel endpoint address to be
   specified for each tunnel.  This document also provides support for
   specifying fields of any inner or outer encapsulations that may be
   used by a particular tunnel.

   This document obsoletes RFC 5512.  Since RFCs 5566 and 5640 rely on
   RFC 5512, they are likewise obsoleted.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

The document contains these normative downward references.
See RFC 3967 for additional information: 
    draft-ietf-nvo3-vxlan-gpe: Generic Protocol Extension for VXLAN (VXLAN-GPE) (None - IETF stream)