Subject: [Idr] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-sas-idr-maxprefix-outbound-00.txt

From: Melchior Aelmans <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 15:32:59 +0200

Hi IDR,

As suggested in earlier WG meetings (both in GROW and IDR) we have split
the Maximum Prefix Limits draft
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sa-grow-maxprefix/> into Maximum
Prefix Limits Outbound
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sas-idr-maxprefix-outbound/>
and Maximum
Prefix Limits Inbound
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sas-idr-maxprefix-inbound/>.
The authors are looking for your feedback and input on both.

Thanks,
Melchior

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 3:27 PM
Subject: I-D Action: draft-sas-idr-maxprefix-outbound-00.txt
To: <[email-masked]>

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

        Title           : Revised BGP Maximum Prefix Limits Outbound
        Authors         : Melchior Aelmans
                          Massimiliano Stucchi
                          Job Snijders
        Filename        : draft-sas-idr-maxprefix-outbound-00.txt
        Pages           : 9
        Date            : 2020-09-30

Abstract:
   This document updates RFC4271 by adding a control mechanism which
   limits the negative impact of outbound route leaks (RFC7908) in order
   to prevent resource exhaustion in Border Gateway Protocol (BGP)
   implementations.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sas-idr-maxprefix-outbound/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sas-idr-maxprefix-outbound-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-sas-idr-maxprefix-outbound-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: Gyan Mishra <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 10:52:48 -0400

Hi Authors

Would it be possible to modify the action so that we have the option to not
disconnect the peer and allow the peer to remain UP state but clip the
routes above the upper limit and provide this option for both inbound and
outbound directions.  This was the PE resources are not impacted as well as
the customer peer still remains in an Up state.

Thanks

Gyan

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 9:34 AM Melchior Aelmans <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sas-idr-maxprefix-outbound/> and Maximum
> Prefix Limits Inbound
> Idr mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr
>
> --

<http://www.verizon.com/>

*Gyan Mishra*

*Network Solutions A**rchitect *

*M 301 502-134713101 Columbia Pike *Silver Spring, MD

---

From: Melchior Aelmans <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 18:26:59 +0200

Hi Gyan,

Thanks for the feedback!
Good point and agreed this could be useful. Would you be okay with having
this as an additional action next to shutdown?

Cheers,
Melchior

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 4:53 PM Gyan Mishra <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Authors
>
>
> Would it be possible to modify the action so that we have the option to
> not disconnect the peer and allow the peer to remain UP state but clip the

---

From: Gyan Mishra <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 18:28:51 -0400

Hi Melchior

Thanks for the quick response!

For both inbound and outbound direction we have today the option to set
prefix limit and threshold for the peer disconnect scenario, so now we
would add a 3rd parameter is your suggestion.

I agree and that makes sense.  With this option when the limit hits and we
are clipping over the limit it would be possible to also do the warning
flag with it so we are logging when clipping and maybe even number of
routes clipped in the log message.

If you have a GitHub for the draft I would be happy to co-author the draft
and provide any additional feedback.

Kind Regards

Gyan
On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 12:27 PM Melchior Aelmans <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>>>  and Maximum Prefix Limits Inbound
>> *M 301 502-134713101 Columbia Pike
>> <https://www.google.com/maps/search/13101+Columbia+Pike%C2%A0+Silver+Spring,+MD?entry=gmail&source=g>*Silver
>> Spring, MD
>> <https://www.google.com/maps/search/13101+Columbia+Pike%C2%A0+Silver+Spring,+MD?entry=gmail&source=g>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
> --

*Gyan Mishra*