Subject: [Idr] Martin Duke's No Objection on draft-ietf-idr-bgp-ls-registry-04: (with COMMENT)

From: Martin Duke via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 11:50:12 -0700

Martin Duke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-idr-bgp-ls-registry-04: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-bgp-ls-registry/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Upon further reflection, my concerns below don't meet the DISCUSS criteria.
Reclassifying:

I would like to understand the intent of this document a little better.

RFC 8126 subtly implies that "Expert Review" is a little laxer than
"specification required". But the guidance to experts in this draft seems to
closely match "IETF Review" (sec 4.8 of 8126) except that it allows documents
to get an allocation at an earlier stage in the process. The shepherd comment
that "RFC Required" was an alternative proposal also indicates that the intent
to become more, not less, strict. Indeed, the main change appears to be
eliminating allocations to non-IETF-stream documents.

So why not simply change the registry to "IETF Review" and allow provisional
allocations? It would be much easier to use established mechanisms and standard
definitions than rewriting them in this document. Is the SHOULD in Sec 2.1
carrying a lot of weight here?

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 19:07:11 -0000

Ah, looks like I responded to the Discuss and not the down-graded comment 😊

Personally, I think your Discuss was just fine. But anyway, the same answer applies to your Comment.

Many thanks,
Adrian