Subject: Re: [Ieprep] The world's biggest data consumers don't think prior ity is such a big priority

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 10:25:53 -0400

On Wednesday, Oct 1, 2003, at 09:15 America/Montreal, Gunn, Janet wrote:
> May I paraphrase?
>
> "Users with very large 'pipes' don't see the need for prioritization."
>
> That seems to be a pretty valid statement.
>
> But it says nothing about users and uses within the same organizations 
> which
> do NOT have massive overcapacity pipes.

Agree completely, when such users/uses exist within a given 
organisation,
which is certainly not an uncommon situation around the world.

QoS mechanisms can be very useful for dealing with intra-domain
situations where there is insufficient capacity and it is not
economic to add enough capacity to meet needs.

As near as I can tell, there is no dispute about the potential utility
of intra-domain QoS on this list.  The list does seem to have divergent
perspectives on inter-domain QoS, however.

Cheers,

Ran Atkinson
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep