Subject: [Ietf-community-india] RFCsWeLove - Apr 2nd - IETF 110 edition

From: IIESoc <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 23:12:47 +0530

Hi,

The next RFCsWeLove is on Friday 2nd April, 18:00 IST. We have two new
speakers who are bringing some interesting topics from the recent IETF 110.

   - Application-aware Networking (APN) by Shuping Peng, Huawei -- this
   talk will introduce this new work that was discussed at various WGs at IETF
   110.
   - Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) by Sabine Randriamasy,
   Nokia -- this talk will introduce the past work and the new items being
   discussed as part of the WG recharter.

Please register at -
https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_UERRz7G4REiv0UHH-ZB3KQ

*Application-aware Networking (APN)*
APN is focused on developing a framework and set of mechanisms to derive,
convey and use an identifier to allow for the implementation of a
fine-grain user (group)-, application (group)-, and service-level
requirements at the network layer.

An identifier is acquired, constructed in a structured value, and then
encapsulated in the packets. Such structured value is treated as an opaque
object in the network, to which the network operator applies policies in
various nodes/service functions along the path and provides corresponding
services. Such an identifier may represent the traffic of a particular
user/application group and/or service-level requirement but does not
directly identify the actual user nor the actual application on the wire.

APN works within a limited trusted domain. Typically, an APN domain is
defined as the service providers’ limited domains in which MPLS, VXLAN,
SR/SRv6, and other tunnel technologies are adopted to provide services.
This talk will introduce the APN, its use case, and common queries around
it.

Bio:
Dr. Shuping Peng is a Huawei Principle IP Standards Representative,
responsible for IPv6/SRv6 innovations and standards work.

   - 10 years working experience in telecommunications, and 6 years deep
   involvements in European and UK national projects, including FP7, Horizon
   2020, 5GPPP, etc.
   - Active in multiple standards organizations, serving as IETF SPRING WG
   Secretary, BBF 5G Projects Editors, and CCSA TC3 WG2 (Network Protocols)
   Deputy Director.
   - TPC member of 10+ ACM/IEEE conferences, Google Scholar citations 1721,
   h-index 23, i-index 44.

*Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO): The IETF ALTO protocol:
features and extensions*
ALTO stands for Application-Layer Traffic Optimization. ALTO is an IETF
client-server protocol that aims at providing guidance to applications for
network infrastructure-aware connection decisions. This guidance is
generally based on an operator-centric abstraction of the underlying
topology, that hides complexity while exposing human-readable information
and ensuring at least the same QoE. Since its publication as RFC 7285, ALTO
has been extended with features allowing better-informed decisions with
respect to performance metrics, time, topology insights while reducing data
exchange volume. A new charter for the ALTO WG is currently under
discussion to support emerging new uses of ALTO and further optimize the
protocol. This presentation gathers material already presented at the IETF.
It visits the basic and extended features of ALTO and use-cases explored at
the ALTO WG that motivate potential protocol extension proposals.

Bio:
Sabine Randriamasy, Ph.D. is a Senior Researcher at Nokia Bell Labs. Her
current research focuses on Intent-based networking and network abstraction
for vertical applications. Her achievements include architectures and
frameworks for automation of service request processing, algorithms for
service deployment on 5G topologies, access-aware, and layer-cooperative
application traffic optimization. She also contributes to the IETF with
RFCs in the ALTO WG and to the IRTF NMRG. Her work builds on previous
experience in IP/MPLS distributed, adaptive, multi-path routing, traffic
engineering on IP and LTE networks. Sabine Randriamasy joined Alcatel in
1995 where she worked on data analysis on satellite and cartographic images
for site monitoring and mobile network design, traffic modeling, using
combinatorial optimization, multi-objective decision making, numerical and
dynamic optimization. She previously received a Ph.D. in Applied
Mathematics and Image Analysis from INRIA and PARIS IX Dauphine University
in 1992 and worked in various research labs and companies in France and the
United States. She publishes and serves as a reviewer and TPC member in
international conferences contributed to collaborative research projects
and holds several active international patents.

More details at -
https://www.iiesoc.in/post/rfcs-we-love-apr-2021-ietf-110-edition

Thanks,
Dhruv
For IIESoc