Subject: Re: [Ietf-languages] Registration request for subtag -urban

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2017 14:41:06 -0700

Christoph_Päper wrote:

> Type: variant
> Subtag: urban
> Prefix: de
> Description: Kiezdeutsch
> Description: Kanaksprak
> Prefix: en
> Description: Urbanese
> Comments: Applicable to many major languages.

This ordering of fields doesn't accomplish what you might expect. The
order of fields within a record isn't significant, except that for
subtags taken from core standards, the RFC claims that the first
Description field matches the standard.

Not everyone is keen on the idea of taking a category of speech like
"urban" or "baby talk" or "business-speak" that is easy to exemplify but
hard to define precisely, and apply it to multiple (let alone "all")
languages. You'll probably get a lot of resistance on that.

"Urbanese" is not a common term in English for what you're trying to
express. I found ONE hit on Bing, for the Urban Dictionary entry, and it
was disdainful: "An umbrella term (most often used OUTSIDE the city)
encompassing all urban vernacular as one language" -- implying that it
isn't really.
 
--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org

---

From: Kent Karlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 00:30:34 +0200

> languages. You'll probably get a lot of resistance on that.

Count me in on that resistance. This is not a single definable entity;
it varies with language, city (even by part of city), and population group.

> encompassing all urban vernacular as one language" -- implying that it

/Kent K