Subject: [Ietf-languages] Reference URLs for language subtags?

From: Sascha Brawer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 17:06:26 +0100

Is there a stable URL for seeing all authoritative information about a
BCP47 subtag, i.e. the registry entry plus the final registration form?

For example, https://www.iana.org/assignments/lang-subtags-templates/rm.txt
mentions that it updated a previous version of the record, but it would be
nice if that previous record (and anything else relevant for this BCP47
subtag) could be displayed on the same page.

Another example is the deprecation of language tag i-ami by ami; it would
be nice if https://www.iana.org/assignments/lang-subtags-templates/ami.txt
and https://www.iana.org/assignments/lang-subtags-templates/i-ami.txt (or
some other stable URL which works for any BCP47 subtag) had the story.

This would be useful for Wikipedia and Wikidata, so that Wikipedia pages
could refer to authoritative information about BCP47 subtags. For example,
the infobox in the Wikipedia article about Romansh [
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romansh_language] has a footnote next to the
IETF language tag. The language tag and its reference are taken from
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q13199#P305 (click on the reference to expand
it). Problem is, there isn’t really a good reference with all the
information, hence the question.

Best,

— Sascha

---

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 15:16:36 -0500

Those URLs belong to IANA, not to us, and they are just stashes of the
requests we send them.  I don't think you're going to see hyperlinks or
inclusions in them any time soon.

On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 11:07 AM Sascha Brawer <[email-masked]> wrote:

> For example,
> https://www.iana.org/assignments/lang-subtags-templates/rm.txt mentions
> that it updated a previous version of the record, but it would be nice if
> that previous record (and anything else relevant for this BCP47 subtag)
> could be displayed on the same page.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romansh_language] has a footnote next to
> the IETF language tag. The language tag and its reference are taken from
> https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q13199#P305 (click on the reference to
> expand it). Problem is, there isn’t really a good reference with all the
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf-languages mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages
>