Subject: [Ietf-languages] Record and proposed registration form for 'gallo' variant

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 13:42:31 -0600

Here are the proposed record and registration form for the Gallo dialect, which I created from information provided by Rembert Eufe.

If this subtag is approved, the correct way to tag content in Gallo will be with the tag "fr-gallo".

Please note carefully that the sole purpose of this action, as for all BCP 47 subtag registrations, is to allow Gallo content to be identified for searching and filtering purposes using an industry-standard coding system.

The review period for this request runs through Saturday, July 10, 2021.

---

LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION
File-Date: 2021-xx-xx
%%
Type: language
Subtag: gallo
Description: Gallo
Added: 2021-xx-xx
Prefix: fr
%%
---

LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM

1. Name of requester: Rembert Eufe
2. E-mail address of requester: rembert.eufe at uni-tuebingen.de

3. Record Requested:

Type: variant
Subtag: gallo
Description: Gallo
Prefix: fr

4. Intended meaning of the subtag:

This subtag denotes the Gallo language, a member of the family of
langues-d'oïl which also includes Standard French.

Gallo is spoken in parts of western France (Haute-Bretagne, Normandie,
and Maine), generally east of the region where Breton is widely spoken.

Like many minority languages of France, the use of Gallo has been
discouraged since the French Revolution in favor of Standard French.

5. Reference to published description of the language (book or article):

Smith, John Charles (2016): "French and northern Gallo-Romance", in
Ledgeway, Adam / Maiden, Martin (edd.): The Oxford Guide to the Romance
Languages, Oxford: Oxford University Press, p. 292-318,
DOI:10.1093/acprof:oso/9780199677108.003.0018.

• In this article, Gallo is mentioned several times as one of the
  Langue-d'Oïl dialects. Cf. also the map on p. 293 which coincides with
  the maps of Northern Gallo-Romance I am used to finding in
  introductory works on Romance languages or French.

Chauveau, Jean-Paul (1984): Le Gallo: une présentation. Brest:
Université de la Bretagne Occidentale.

--
Doug Ewell, CC, ALB | Lakewood, CO, US | ewellic.org

---

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 13:44:36 -0600

The registration form in my previous post was inadvertently cut off. Below is the complete form.

---

3. Record Requested:

Type: variant
Subtag: gallo
Description: Gallo
Prefix: fr

Chauveau, Jean-Paul (1989): Evolutions phonétiques en Gallo. Paris:
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique.

Angoujard, Jean-Pierre (2008): Autour du gallo. États des lieux,
analyses et perspectives. Actes de la 1re Journée d'Études Gallèses,
Nantes, 29 juin 2007. Rennes: Presses Universitaires de Rennes.

Auffray, Régis (2007): Le petit Matao. Rennes: Rue des Scribes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallo_language

https://www.omniglot.com/writing/gallo.htm

6. Any other relevant information: