Subject: [ietf-privacy] CfP: 4th International Workshop on Data Usage Management

From: "Alexander Pretschner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 15:14:37 +0100

4th International Workshop on Data Usage Management
co-located with the IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy (SP)
Thursday, May 23rd, 2013
San Francisco, CA, USA

http://dig.csail.mit.edu/2012/IEEESP-DUMA13/

Data usage control generalizes access control to what happens to data in the
future and after it has been given away (accessed). Spanning the domains of
privacy, the protection of intellectual property and compliance, typical
current requirements include ”delete after thirty days”, ”don’t delete
within five years”, ”notify whenever data is given away”, and ”don’t print”.
However, in the near future more general requirements may include ”do not
use for employment purposes”, ”do not use for tracking”, as well as ”do not
use to harm me in any way”. Major challenges in this field include policies,
the relationship between end user actions and technical events, tracking
data across layers of abstraction and logical as well as physical systems,
policy enforcement, protection of the enforcement mechanisms and guarantees.

Following three successful events - the Dagstuhl Seminar on Distributed
Usage Control
(http://www.dagstuhl.de/en/program/calendar/semhp/?semnr=10141), the W3C
Privacy and Data Usage Control Workshop (http://www.w3.org/2010/policy-ws/),
and the WWW 2012 Workshop on Data Usage Management on the Web
(http://dig.csail.mit.edu/2012/WWW-DUMW/) - the goal of the 4th
International Workshop on Data Usage Management is to discuss current
technical developments in usage control and, in particular, foster
collaboration in the area of usage representation (policies is one
mechanism), provenance tracking, misuse identification, and distributed
usage enforcement. Though enabling privacy through careful and controlled
dissemination of sensitive information is an obvious fallout of usage
control, this workshop is interested in understanding data usage control as
a whole. The workshop is also interested in discussing domain-specific
solutions (which typically exist in semi-controlled environments) and their
generalization to more open environments such as the Web. 

Topics and Themes:
Topics of interest include but are not limited to 

*	social (i.e. reputation systems) or economical (incentive based)
approaches to usage control
*	provenance generation
*	provenance tracking
*	accountability
*	usage enforcement
*	usage policies
*	privacy
*	mis-use detection
*	different perspectives to usage management
*	domain-specific solutions to usage control

Submission:
We solicit short position (up to 5 pages) and long technical (upto 8 pages)
papers in IEEE Proceedings format,
http://www.ieee.org/conferences_events/conferences/publishing/templates.html
on all dimensions of the above problem domain. Papers accepted by the
workshop will be published by the IEEE Computer Society Press. Digital
version of the proceedings will be made available to attendees. 

All papers must be submitted via EasyChair at
<https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=duma13>
https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=duma13.

Important Dates:
Papers due: February 11, 2013 
Author notification: March 5, 2013 
Camera ready and early registration deadline: April 1, 2013 
Workshop Date: May 23rd, 2013

Program Committee:
Stefan Katzenbeisser, U Darmstadt 
Jaehong Park, University of Texas at San Antonio 
Renato Iannella, Semantic Identity 
David Chadwick, University of Kent 
Fabio Martinelli, IIT-CNR 
Anupam Datta, CMU
Guenter Karjoth, IBM
David Basin, ETH Zurich
Sandro Etalle, T.U. Eindhoven & University of Twente 
Stephan Micklitz, Google
Tim Finin, UMBC 
Helen Nissenbaum, NYU 

Organizers:
Lalana Kagal, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Alexander Pretschner, Technische Universität München