Subject: [ietf-types] Registration Of media types application/cdmi-*

From: "Krishna Sankar (ksankar)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 11:49:17 -0700

Hi all,

                Would like to register the following media types.
Please send me any questions, suggestions, insights and so forth.

---------------------

6.  IANA Considerations

   This memo includes a request to IANA to register the following media

   types :

   o  application/cdmi-domain

   o  application/cdmi-capability

   o  application/cdmi-container

   o  application/cdmi-object and

   o  application/cdmi-queue

6.1.  Media Type application/cdmi-capability

   Type name: application

   Subtype name: capability

   Required parameters: none

   Optional parameters: none

   Encoding considerations: The "charset" MIME parameter, if present,

   MUST be set to "UTF-8", as defined in [RFC3629].

   Security considerations: See Section 7.

   Interoperability considerations: none

   Published specification: draft-cdmi-mediatypes-01

   Applications that use this media type: Implementations of the Cloud

   Data Management Interface (CDMI) defined by the Storage Networking

   Industry Association (SNIA)

   Additional information:

      Magic number(s): none

      File extension(s): none

      Macintosh file type code(s): none

   Person and email address to contact for further information: Arnold

   Jones [email-masked]

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Restrictions on usage: none

   Author: SNIA Cloud Storage Initiative [email-masked]

   Change controller: SNIA Cloud Storage Initiative [email-masked]

6.2.  Media Type application/cdmi-container

   Type name: application

   Subtype name: container

   Required parameters: none

   Optional parameters: none

   Encoding considerations: The "charset" MIME parameter, if present,

   MUST be set to "UTF-8", as defined in [RFC3629].

   Security considerations: See Section 7.

   Interoperability considerations: none

   Published specification: draft-cdmi-mediatypes-01

   Applications that use this media type: Implementations of the Cloud

   Data Management Interface (CDMI) defined by the Storage Networking

   Industry Association (SNIA)

   Additional information:

      Magic number(s): none

      File extension(s): none

      Macintosh file type code(s): none

   Person and email address to contact for further information: Arnold

   Jones [email-masked]

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Restrictions on usage: none

   Author: SNIA Cloud Storage Initiative [email-masked]

   Change controller: SNIA Cloud Storage Initiative [email-masked]

6.3.  Media Type application/cdmi-domain

   Type name: application

   Subtype name: domain

   Required parameters: none

   Optional parameters: none

   Encoding considerations: The "charset" MIME parameter, if present,

   MUST be set to "UTF-8", as defined in [RFC3629].

   Security considerations: See Section 7.

   Interoperability considerations: none

   Published specification: draft-cdmi-mediatypes-01

   Applications that use this media type: Implementations of the Cloud

   Data Management Interface (CDMI) defined by the Storage Networking

   Industry Association (SNIA)

   Additional information:

      Magic number(s): none

      File extension(s): none

      Macintosh file type code(s): none

   Person and email address to contact for further information: Arnold

   Jones [email-masked]

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Restrictions on usage: none

   Author: SNIA Cloud Storage Initiative [email-masked]

   Change controller: SNIA Cloud Storage Initiative [email-masked]

6.4.  Media Type application/cdmi-object

   Type name: application

   Subtype name: object

   Required parameters: none

   Optional parameters: none

   Encoding considerations: The "charset" MIME parameter, if present,

   MUST be set to "UTF-8", as defined in [RFC3629].

   Security considerations: See Section 7.

   Interoperability considerations: none

   Published specification: draft-cdmi-mediatypes-01

   Applications that use this media type: Implementations of the Cloud

   Data Management Interface (CDMI) defined by the Storage Networking

   Industry Association (SNIA)

   Additional information:

      Magic number(s): none

      File extension(s): none

      Macintosh file type code(s): none

   Person and email address to contact for further information: Arnold

   Jones [email-masked]

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Restrictions on usage: none

   Author: SNIA Cloud Storage Initiative [email-masked]

   Change controller: SNIA Cloud Storage Initiative [email-masked]

6.5.  Media Type application/cdmi-queue

   Type name: application

   Subtype name: queue

   Required parameters: none

   Optional parameters: none

   Encoding considerations: The "charset" MIME parameter, if present,

   MUST be set to "UTF-8", as defined in [RFC3629].

   Security considerations: See Section 7.

   Interoperability considerations: none

   Published specification: draft-cdmi-mediatypes-01

   Applications that use this media type: Implementations of the Cloud

   Data Management Interface (CDMI) defined by the Storage Networking

   Industry Association (SNIA)

   Additional information:

      Magic number(s): none

      File extension(s): none

      Macintosh file type code(s): none

   Person and email address to contact for further information: Arnold

   Jones [email-masked]

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Restrictions on usage: none

   Author: SNIA Cloud Storage Initiative [email-masked]

   Change controller: SNIA Cloud Storage Initiative [email-masked]

---------------------

Cheers & thanks

<k/>

------------------------------------------------------------------------
------

        |            |        Krishna Sankar, Distinguished Engineer

       :|:          :|:       http://doubleclix.wordpress.com/about/

      :|||:        :|||:      - Cloud Computing, Social Networks

  ..:|||||||:.....:|||||||:.. - Semantic Social Networking =
DeComplexify - ..

      Cisco  Systems Inc      - ... Contextualize-Network-Reason & then
Infer

      (Ph) 408-853-8475       [email-masked]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----

 "Not all those who wander are lost ..." -J.R.R.Tolkien

------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----

For corporate legal information go to:

http://www.cisco.com/web/about/doing_business/legal/cri/index.html

---

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 23:59:16 +0200

>   Published specification: draft-cdmi-mediatypes-01

I could not find this draft. I also tried my favourite search engine
with some of the phrases from the templates but came up empty.
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Am Badedeich 7 · Telefon: +49(0)160/4415681 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
25899 Dagebüll · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 16:01:29 -0600

> with some of the phrases from the templates but came up empty.

Having advised Krishna in writing the draft, I thought he would submit
it before posting to this list, but I seem to have been mistaken. :)

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: "Krishna Sankar (ksankar)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 16:20:56 -0700

I have submitted the draft. 

I tried couple of times, but the web site gave me the "Previous version
does not exist for this document" error ;o( and so sent it to the
[email-masked]' alias. 

Draft attached as FYI.
Cheers
<k/>
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Peter Saint-Andre
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 3:01 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [ietf-types] Registration Of media types application/cdmi-*

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

_______________________________________________
ietf-types mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-types

---

From: "Krishna Sankar (ksankar)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 18:42:29 -0700

Corrected request for registration and have submitted draft-cdmi-mediatypes-00 :

Hi all,
   Would like to register the following media types.  Please send me any questions, suggestions, insights and so forth.

---------------------
6.  IANA Considerations

   o  application/cdmi-queue

   Type name: application

   Subtype name: capability

   Published specification: draft-cdmi-mediatypes-00

   Additional information:

      Magic number(s): none

      File extension(s): none

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Type name: application

   Subtype name: container

   Published specification: draft-cdmi-mediatypes-00

   Additional information:

      Magic number(s): none

      File extension(s): none

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Type name: application

   Subtype name: domain

   Published specification: draft-cdmi-mediatypes-00

   Additional information:

      Magic number(s): none

      File extension(s): none

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Type name: application

   Subtype name: object

   Published specification: draft-cdmi-mediatypes-00

   Additional information:

      Magic number(s): none

      File extension(s): none

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Type name: application

   Subtype name: queue

   Published specification: draft-cdmi-mediatypes-00

   Additional information:

      Magic number(s): none

      File extension(s): none

   Intended usage: COMMON

---------------------
Cheers & thanks
<k/>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        |            |        Krishna Sankar, Distinguished Engineer
       :|:          :|:       http://doubleclix.wordpress.com/about/
      :|||:        :|||:      - Cloud Computing, Social Networks
  ..:|||||||:.....:|||||||:.. - Semantic Social Networking = DeComplexify - ..
      Cisco  Systems Inc      - ... Contextualize-Network-Reason & then Infer
      (Ph) 408-853-8475       [email-masked]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 "Not all those who wander are lost ..." -J.R.R.Tolkien
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For corporate legal information go to:
http://www.cisco.com/web/about/doing_business/legal/cri/index.html

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 11:47:38 -0400

1. You claim to be registering application/cdmi-* but the actual subtype names in the individual templates don't start with "cdmi-".  Please add them.  I think it would be bad if application/capability, application/domain, etc. were registered.

2. Re: Encoding considerations.  Normally this would be some recommendation about whether to use base64, quoted-printable, or whatever, when transporting objects of this type over MIME email.  Your type applications don't say anything about that.  Your applications supply advice about using a charset parameter, but your proposed types don't even define a charset parameter.    Parameters defined for one type (say text/plain) do not automatically exist for other types.

I'm just guessing, but perhaps you'd like to say that since objects of type application/cdmi-* consist of utf-8 text, base64 encoding is appropriate when transporting such objects over email.  

3. Security considerations.  IANA probably knows enough to supply the missing detail, but just in case they miss it :   Type registrations are intended to be standalone.  "See Section 7" begs the question "of what?"

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 21:14:02 -0400

On Sep 26, 2010, at 9:03 PM, Krishna Sankar (ksankar) wrote:

> Keith,
> 	Thanks. Good comments. Corrected.
> 

Thanks, but I have some additional comments.  Taking just one of these as an example:

>   Subtype name: cdmi-capability
> 
                        ****
>   Optional parameters: none
                         ****
>   MUST be set to "UTF-8", as defined in [RFC3629].  

You've declared that there are no parameters, either required or optional, and then you immediately say that the (nonexistent) charset parameter must be set to UTF-8.

Normally application/* types don't have a charset parameter at all.  charset is a parameter that tends to be used with text/* types.  RFC 3629 even says (in section 8) "UTF-8 is suitable for use in MIME content types under the "text" top-level type."

You can define a charset parameter for your type if you want to do so.  But if the charset is always going to be UTF-8, I don't see why you should bother.  Putting a charset parameter there just invites people to set it to something other than UTF-8.

Also, if you want to insist that the representation always be in UTF-8, the best way to do that would appear to be to simply state that the representation is always UTF-8 and that any charset parameter is to be ignored.

---

From: "Krishna Sankar (ksankar)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 14:03:46 -0700

Agreed and corrected.
----------------------------
6.  IANA Considerations

   o  application/cdmi-queue

   Type name: application

   Encoding considerations: Assumes that the representation is always
   UTF-8, as defined in [RFC3629] and any "charset" MIME parameter will
   be ignored.  The primary transport is HTTP and a base64 encoding is
   appropriate when transporting such objects over other transports like
   email.

   Security considerations: See Section 7 of draft-cdmi-mediatypes-02

   Published specification: draft-cdmi-mediatypes-02

   Additional information:

      Magic number(s): none

      File extension(s): none

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Type name: application

   Subtype name: cdmi-container

   Encoding considerations: Assumes that the representation is always
   UTF-8, as defined in [RFC3629] and any "charset" MIME parameter will
   be ignored.  The primary transport is HTTP and a base64 encoding is
   appropriate when transporting such objects over other transports like
   email.

   Security considerations: See Section 7 of draft-cdmi-mediatypes-02

   Published specification: draft-cdmi-mediatypes-02

   Additional information:

      Magic number(s): none

      File extension(s): none

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Type name: application

   Subtype name: cdmi-domain

   Encoding considerations: Assumes that the representation is always
   UTF-8, as defined in [RFC3629] and any "charset" MIME parameter will
   be ignored.  The primary transport is HTTP and a base64 encoding is
   appropriate when transporting such objects over other transports like
   email.

   Security considerations: See Section 7 of draft-cdmi-mediatypes-02

   Published specification: draft-cdmi-mediatypes-02

   Additional information:

      Magic number(s): none

      File extension(s): none

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Type name: application

   Subtype name: cdmi-object

   Encoding considerations: Assumes that the representation is always
   UTF-8, as defined in [RFC3629] and any "charset" MIME parameter will
   be ignored.  The primary transport is HTTP and a base64 encoding is
   appropriate when transporting such objects over other transports like
   email.

   Security considerations: See Section 7 of draft-cdmi-mediatypes-02

   Published specification: draft-cdmi-mediatypes-02

   Additional information:

      Magic number(s): none

      File extension(s): none

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Type name: application

   Subtype name: cdmi-queue

   Encoding considerations: Assumes that the representation is always
   UTF-8, as defined in [RFC3629] and any "charset" MIME parameter will
   be ignored.  The primary transport is HTTP and a base64 encoding is
   appropriate when transporting such objects over other transports like
   email.

   Security considerations: See Section 7 of draft-cdmi-mediatypes-02

   Published specification: draft-cdmi-mediatypes-02

   Additional information:

      Magic number(s): none

      File extension(s): none

   Intended usage: COMMON

----------------------------
Cheers
<k/>

From: Keith Moore [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2010 6:14 PM
To: Krishna Sankar (ksankar)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [ietf-types] Registration Of media types application/cdmi-*

Keith,

  Type name: application