Subject: [ietf-types] Update of application/xenc+xml media type registration

From: Thomas Roessler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 13:26:12 +0100

Dear IANA,

the W3C is the change controller for the XML Encryption specification, which is the published specification for the application/xenc+xml media type.

The W3C XML Security Working Group has published a Last Call Working Draft for a version 1.1 of XML Encryption, including an updated media type registration template:

	http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-xmlenc-core1-20101130/
	http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-xmlenc-core1-20101130/#sec-MediaType-Registration

Please update the application/xenc+xml media type registration accordingly.

A text version of the updated media type registration template is included for your convenience below the .signature of this note.

Thanks,
--
Thomas Roessler, W3C  <[email-masked]>

8.2 application/xenc+xml Registration

   This is a media type registration as defined in Multipurpose Internet
   Mail Extensions (MIME) Part Four: Registration Procedures
   [[350]MIME-REG]

   Type name: application

   Subtype name: xenc+xml

   Required parameters: none

   Optional parameters: charset

     The allowable and recommended values for, and interpretation of the
     charset parameter are identical to those given for 'application/xml'
     in section 3.2 of RFC 3023 [[351]XML-MT].

   Encoding considerations:

     The encoding considerations are identical to those given for
     'application/xml' in section 3.2 of RFC 3023 [[352]XML-MT].

   Security considerations:

     See the [[353]XMLENC-CORE1] [354]Security Considerations section.

   Interoperability considerations: none

   Published specification: [[355]XMLENC-CORE1]

   Applications which use this media type:

     XML Encryption is device-, platform-, and vendor-neutral and is
     supported by a range of Web applications.

   Additional Information:

     Magic number(s): none

     Although no byte sequences can be counted on to consistently
     identify XML Encryption documents, they will be XML documents in
     which the root element's QName's LocalPart is 'EncryptedData' or
     'EncryptedKey' with an associated namespace name of
     '[356]http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc#'. The application/xenc+xml
     type name must only be used for data objects in which the root
     element is from the XML Encryption namespace. XML documents which
     contain these element types in places other than the root element
     can be described using facilities such as [[357]XMLSCHEMA-1],
     [[358]XMLSCHEMA-2].

     File extension(s): .xml

     Macintosh File Type Code(s): "TEXT"

   Person & email address to contact for further information:

     World Wide Web Consortium <web-human at w3.org>

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Author/Change controller:

   The XML Encryption specification is a work product of the World Wide
   Web Consortium (W3C) which has change control over the specification.