Subject: [ietf-types] Registration of media types application/xacmlpolicy+xml, application/xacmlrequest+xml, and application/xacmlresponse+xml

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 08:10:22 -0500

Hello,

I've been authorized [1] by the OASIS XACML Technical Committee to register 3 media types: application/xacmlpolicy+xml, application/xacmlrequest+xml, and application/xacmlresponse+xml and have a question about the registration process [2]. Section 4.10 states:

"standards tree registrations for media types defined in documents produced by other standards bodies MUST be described by a formal standards specification produced by that body."

Does that mean we first have to have a committee specification that prescribes the use of a media type, before we can register said media type with IANA?

Thanks,
Ray

[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/201112/msg00006.html
[2] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4288

---

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 18:49:58 +0100

* <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Section 4.10 states:
>
>"standards tree registrations for media types defined in documents
>produced by other standards bodies MUST be described by a formal
>standards specification produced by that body."
>
>Does that mean we first have to have a committee specification that
>prescribes the use of a media type, before we can register said media
>type with IANA?

The general idea is that the format specification would have a section
that registers the media type, but you could also have a "media types
for XACML" specification or something along that line. Without that, it
would still be possible to register the types through the RFC process,
like when the standards organization has a format specification but does
not want to update it to include the registration information and also
does not want to publish a separate registration specificiation. It may
also be sufficient if there is some understanding that these things will
materialize within a reasonable time frame (IETF types are registered
when the IESG approves an Internet-Draft for publication as RFC, but it
typically takes several months before the RFC is actually published).

If none of that sounds like an option, there is also the option to use
different names, say `application/vnd.oasis.xacml...`.

So yeah, it would be better if you have something, but the timing and
the procedural formalities are not overarching concerns.
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Am Badedeich 7 · Telefon: +49(0)160/4415681 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
25899 Dagebüll · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/