Subject: [IETFMIBS] snmpTrapEnterprise question

From: Kristine Adamson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 05:22:54 -0600

Hello,
   I have a question about the use of the snmpTrapEnterprise MIB object in 
an SNMPv2-TRAP-PDU.  The only place I have found a discussion of this MIB 
object is in RFC3584 when it describes converting SNMPv1 traps to SNMPv2 
traps and vice versa.   The definition of the MIB object is in  RFC3418 
but the snmpNotificationGroup which includes it is not referenced in a 
Compliance statement. 

So my question is, if an agent is creating an SNMPv2-TRAP-PDU (not 
converting an SNMPv1 trap to an SNMPv2 trap) for an enterprise-specific 
trap, is the agent required to provide an  snmpTrapEnterprise MIB object 
as the last varBind in the trap?   RFC3416 does not mention the 
snmpTrapEnterprise MIB object under heading  "4.2.6.  The 
SNMPv2-Trap-PDU". 

If the snmpTrapEnterprise MIB object is not required in an SNMPv2-TRAP-PDU 
for an enterprise-specific trap, then is the trap receiver supposed to 
parse the snmpTrapOID MIB object value in order to derive the enterprise 
value?

Thanks for your time,
 
Kristine Adamson
Phone: (919) 254-7911   T/L 444-7911
Internet e-mail:[email-masked]

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 13:29:45 +0100

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 12:22:54PM +0100, Kristine Adamson wrote:
 
> converting an SNMPv1 trap to an SNMPv2 trap) for an
> enterprise-specific trap, is the agent required to provide an
> snmpTrapEnterprise MIB object as the last varBind in the trap?

No.

> RFC3416 does not mention the snmpTrapEnterprise MIB object under
> heading "4.2.6.  The SNMPv2-Trap-PDU".

Which I think is correct.
 
> If the snmpTrapEnterprise MIB object is not required in an
> SNMPv2-TRAP-PDU for an enterprise-specific trap, then is the trap
> receiver supposed to parse the snmpTrapOID MIB object value in order
> to derive the enterprise value?

The snmpTrapOID uniquely identifies the notification type. If for some
reason an application wants an identification which organization
defined the notification, you can of course look at the form of the
OID. If it refers to the 'private' branch, then an application can
look at the enterprise subidentifier. But note that this gives you the
enterprise owning the notification definition; this is not necessarily
the same as the enterprise implementing a specific device.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>