Subject: draft-ietf-ifmib-testmib-06.txt Posting

From: "Bert Wijnen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 99 15:31:55 CET

Ref:  Your note of Tue, 07 Dec 1999 20:23:34 -0500

Subject: Re:   draft-ietf-ifmib-testmib-06.txt Posting

Thanks for making the changes. It now compiles clean.
Sorry if this sounds like nitpicking, but....
I still have some comments on draft-ietf-ifmib-testmib-06.txt
Do you think you can address those? That would be nice.
I am also still a bit worried about the name of testMIB. It is
a very easy target for collision. I did read your explanation
and so I understand why it is not called ifTestMib... yet...??

- Some indentation issue in section 3. Starting at the 2nd para in
  5th bullet, it should be back to the left margin. Bullet 5 has only
  one para.

- I doubt that Maria Greene's email address is correct, is it?

- Explian to me why we start with a big number in the tetsIndexNext
  object. Why would we not start with 1 and let it increase?

- testResultTimestamp.
  I guess, it could have a defval of 0 too.

- testCode
  I am still a bit confused by the DESCRIPTION clause. It seems to
  indicate that the value could be an integer, but it clearly cannot
  be so, because the syntax is OBJECT IDENTIFIER
  I think I am confused because of the first sentence.
  If it used "ptr to a code" instead of "a code" then I would
  understand it better I think.
  Again, a defval of zeroDotZero might be handy.
- testcode
  referes to RFC1903, should refer to RFC2578.
  Yep... that what you get if it takes a long time to recycle an I-D,
  then the rest of the world moves on ;-)

- testOwner
  Mmm... you may want to point to the DESCRIPTION clause of testTable
  which explains this "ownership". Also you may explain that having
  "ownership" does not guarantee that another manager cannot start
  the test or set/change the test parameters. This ownerstring just
  makes it possible for cooperating managers to do the right thing.
  Maybe that should be made clear(er)?
  Maybe it is OK to just change "required to invoke..." into
  "to invoke....".
- testOwner
  It should not longer reference RFC2233, should it?
  Besides, RFC2233 is being obsolted and the new MIB has deprecated
  OwnerString, so you do not want to reference it here I think.

- testRowStatus
  I guess I mentioned in earlier comments that a defval of createAndWait
  is not correct. Now you have a defval of notReady. That seems wrong
  too. For read-create tables, I think that this object type cannot
  (whould not) have a defval. It just depends on how the row is
  created (at least that is how understand the RowStatus TC in RFC2579.

Bert

---

From: ted brunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 08:44:45 -0800

I think this message never went out on the if-mib list,
so I am resending it.

Ted

-------- Original Message --------

Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 20:23:34 -0500
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
From: Kaj Tesink <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: draft-ietf-ifmib-testmib-06.txt Posting
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed
Sender: [email-masked]
Precedence: bulk

Hi,

I just posted draft-ietf-ifmib-testmib-06.txt

The revisions were based on further kind review by Bert
and are as follows:

- REVISION clause added

- OwnerString replaced by SnmpAdminString

- boilerplate updates

- to accommodate bert's point of prudent operation of obtaining
'ownership'
   of a test row the following text was inserted in the description of
   testTable:
                     A prudent sequence to obtain 'ownership' of a
                     testTable entry and to minimize collisions (e.g.,
with
                     a manager not following the rules) is as follows:
                     (1) Retrieve testIndexNext; stop if no more values
                         are available
                     (2) Test whether the corresponding testTable entry
                         does exist through a retrieval operation
                     (3) If the entry exists go back to (1), else
                     (4) Once 'ownership' is obtained, the testOwner and
                         test parameters can be setup, by creating a row
                         with the reserved testIndex and appropriate
test
                         parameter settings.
                     (5) Then the test is initiated by setting the
                         testRowStatus to 'active'. The agent sets the
                         value of testResult to 'inProgress'.

- reference to SNMPv2 in the description of testTable has ben made into
an 
example

- DEFVAL for testRowStatus has been inserted

- syntax of testCapabilityIndex was refined with a range

Since no more technical comments have been posted I suggest that
the WG chair does a WG Last Call on this draft allowing submission
to the AD for further processing in January if no further comments
are made.

Note that this spec is used by the atm test mib that has also
been revised.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kaj Tesink
Telcordia Technologies (formerly Bellcore)
Email  [email-masked]
Tel    732.758.5254
Fax    732.758.2269
Postal 331 Newman Springs Rd
        Red Bank, NJ 07701
        USA

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/