Subject: [ifmib] Re: Seperation of counters

From: "Irfan Lateef" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 17:44:04 -0400

Mike,

Based on your suggestion I reviewed the RMON-MIB(RFC 2819)
and RMON2-MIB(RFC 2021). Here are my observations.

1. There is diffference in context. The RMON-MIB is designed
   for a passive probing and monitoring device and I am trying
   to collect history for the interface of an active device in
   the network. Hence it does contain any entries in its tables
   to support the transmitted octet/packet statistics.

2. As mention in (1) above RMON-MIB etherhistoryTable does not
  contain any entries for out(or transmiited) statistics it
  cannot be used in its present form for collecting history data
  given by IF-MIB(RFC 2863).

3. RMON2-MIB usrHistory can be used as a solution( technically speaking!).
   This solution (to me) appears to be complicated and a real
   objection can be the need for write access and provisioning
   for collecting statistics. This is putting additional
   requirements on users who want to collect statistics. The
   second concern is the overloading the semantics of the table
   with a use which probably was not originally intended.
   It would be much simpler to write other MIB to do what needs
   to be done, namely collect history data of interface stats.

Therefore I would propose writing a draft supplemental MIB to
IF-MIB with a structure similar to etherHistory for collecting
interface statistics and call it ifHistory(or something!).

The reason I am discussing this here is to make sure I am not
inventing the wheel and also to see if there are other who may
be interested in this kind of MIB.

Appreciate you comments.

Regards,
Irfan Lateef

>From: Michael MacFaden <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: Seperation of counters
>Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 17:11:56 -0700
>
>
> >From: "Irfan Lateef" <[email-masked]>
> >
> >I am using RFC-2863 to collecting interface statistics and I
> >have to put them in 15-min bins.
> >
> >I was wondering if you considered seperation of all counters
> >into a separate table and having 96 entries for this new table.
>
>I would suggest you use RMON2 usrHistory (or possibly etherHist
>from RMON I) for this.
>
>It will be a vendor extension as to whether  this information is:
>
>0) automatically configured
>1)  saved across reboots
>2) has enough capacity to statically store for all interfaces
>to be monitored two ore more days worth of info which the RBOCs
>typically request.
>
>For those with sub-interfaces such as ATM and Frame Relay or
>whatever else that does not show up in ifTable,
>a new draft is making its way to draft status - CIRCUIT-IF-MIB:
>   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-frnetmib-frsi-03.txt
>
>Regards,
>Mike MacFaden
>

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp

_______________________________________________
ifmib mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ifmib

---

From: "David T. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 14:59:04 -0700

HI irfan,

Can you explain your motivation. Are you doing this for a
 1) device vendor,
 2) an ISP,
 3) an Enterprise
 4) self education
 5) other?

Regards,
/david t. perkins