Subject: [imapext] Last Call: <draft-ietf-qresync-rfc5162bis-09.txt> (IMAP Extensions for Conditional STORE Operation or Quick Flag Changes Resynchronization (CONDSTORE) and Quick Mailbox Resynchronization (QRESYNC)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 14:34:33 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the IMAP QRESYNC Extension WG
(qresync) to consider the following document:
- 'IMAP Extensions for Conditional STORE Operation or Quick Flag Changes
   Resynchronization (CONDSTORE) and Quick Mailbox Resynchronization
   (QRESYNC)'
  <draft-ietf-qresync-rfc5162bis-09.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-01-27. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Often, multiple IMAP (RFC 3501) clients need to coordinate changes to
   a common IMAP mailbox.  Examples include different clients working on
   behalf of the same user, and multiple users accessing shared
   mailboxes.  These clients need a mechanism to efficiently synchronize
   state changes for messages within the mailbox.

   Initially defined in RFC 4551, The Conditional Store facility
   provides a protected update mechanism for message state information
   and a mechanism for requesting only changes to message state.  This
   memo updates that mechanism and obsoletes RFC 4551, based on
   operational experience.

   This document additionally updates another IMAP extension, Quick
   Resynchronization, which builds on the Conditional Store extension to
   provide an IMAP client the ability to fully resynchronize a mailbox
   as part of the SELECT/EXAMINE command, without the need for
   additional server-side state or client round-trips.  Hence this memo
   obsoletes RFC 5162.

   Finally, this document also updates the line length recommendation in
   Section 3.2.1.5 of RFC 2683.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-qresync-rfc5162bis/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-qresync-rfc5162bis/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.