Subject: [imapext] I-D Action: draft-ietf-qresync-rfc5162bis-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 03:40:49 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the IMAP QRESYNC Extension Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : IMAP Extensions for Conditional STORE Operation or Quick Flag Changes Resynchronization (CONDSTORE) and Quick Mailbox Resynchronization (QRESYNC)
        Authors         : Alexey Melnikov
                          Dave Cridland
	Filename        : draft-ietf-qresync-rfc5162bis-07.txt
	Pages           : 50
	Date            : 2014-01-07

Abstract:
   Often, multiple IMAP (RFC 3501) clients need to coordinate changes to
   a common IMAP mailbox.  Examples include different clients working on
   behalf of the same user, and multiple users accessing shared
   mailboxes.  These clients need a mechanism to efficiently synchronize
   state changes for messages within the mailbox.

   The Conditional Store facility provides a protected update mechanism
   for message state information -- for example, the mechanism can be
   used to guarantee that only one client can change message state at
   any time -- and a mechanism for requesting only changes to message
   state.

   This document additionally defines another IMAP extension, Quick
   Resynchronization, which builds on the Conditional Store extension to
   provide an IMAP client the ability to fully resynchronize a mailbox
   as part of the SELECT/EXAMINE command, without the need for
   additional server-side state or client round-trips.

   This document obsoletes RFC 4551 and RFC 5162.  It updates RFC 4315,
   RFC 3501 and RFC 2683.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-qresync-rfc5162bis/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-qresync-rfc5162bis-07

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-qresync-rfc5162bis-07

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 11:45:24 +0000

> http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-qresync-rfc5162bis-07
This version updates Abstract/Introduction to be more compact and to not 
contain normative requirements.
It also addresses ID-nits and erratum 1810 from Timo which I forgot to 
address earlier.

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 13:44:07 +0100

Hi Alexey,

Thanks for making these changes.  I'm sorry.  I need one more change. 
The proto write-up is pretty clear about updates.  It says the following:

> * If publication of this document changes the status of any existing
>   RFCs, are those RFCs listed on the title page header, and are the
>   changes listed in the abstract and discussed (explained, not just
>   mentioned) in the introduction?

I propose the following textual changes to the abstract to sort all of this:

OLD:

New:

   Initially defined in RFC 4551, The Conditional Store facility provides
   a protected update mechanism for message state information and a 
   mechanism for requesting only changes to message state.  This memo
   updates that mechanism and obsoletes RFC 4551, based on operational
   experience.

   This document additionally updates another IMAP extension, Quick
   Resynchronization, which builds on the Conditional Store extension to
   provide an IMAP client the ability to fully resynchronize a mailbox
   as part of the SELECT/EXAMINE command, without the need for
   additional server-side state or client round-trips.  Hence this memo
   obsoletes RFC 5162.

   Finally, in when these extensions are used, other mechanisms are
   updated.  In particular, the line length recommendation in RFC 2863
   is modified, the UID EXPUNGE command from RFC 4315 is modified, and
   the behavior of EXPUNGE from RFC 3501 is modified.

Eliot

On 1/7/14 12:45 PM, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
> This version updates Abstract/Introduction to be more compact and to
> not contain normative requirements.
> _______________________________________________
> imapext mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/imapext
>
>

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 13:50:49 +0000

> Hi Alexey,
Hi Eliot,

>     the behavior of EXPUNGE from RFC 3501 is modified.
I slightly modified the last paragraph, as it was not quite right. But 
otherwise I've used your text. -08 posted.

---

From: Jan Kundrát <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 16:22:17 +0100

Hi Alexey,
I have tried to split the VANISHED and VANISHED (EARLIER) into two separate 
sections, as discussed in December. Sorry for this rather long delay.

The changes live at [1]. If you push the -08 version, I can easily rebase 
these changes on top of that.

Hope it isn't too late.

With kind regards,
Jan

[1] https://github.com/aamelnikov/draft-rfc4551-bis/pull/1

-- 
Trojitá, a fast Qt IMAP e-mail client -- http://trojita.flaska.net/

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 18:00:28 +0100

I'm sorry, Jan.  I've passed the work on to the IESG.  Barry can send it
back if the group really thinks this is important.

Eliot
On 1/7/14 4:22 PM, Jan Kundrát wrote:
> Hi Alexey,
> I have tried to split the VANISHED and VANISHED (EARLIER) into two
> separate sections, as discussed in December. Sorry for this rather
> long delay.
>
> The changes live at [1]. If you push the -08 version, I can easily
> rebase these changes on top of that.
>
> Hope it isn't too late.
>
> With kind regards,
> Jan
>