Subject: RE: [ipcdn] Feedback: draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-eventmess-05.txt

From: "Eugene Nechamkin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 14:16:24 -0800

All,

After reviewing the draft-05, authors propose the following modifcations
to the draft-05:

1. Add the following normative references (Section 7): 
	- PacketCable(TM) Management Event Mechanism Specification
(PKT-SP-MEM1.5-I01-050128) - to be reffered to by the section 3 and some
MIB Objects
	- J. Postel, "User Datagram Protocol", STD0006, RFC 768 - to be
refered to by section 3.6.
	- C. Lonvick, "The BSD syslog Protocol", RFC 3164, August 2001 -
to be reffered to by some MIB Objects.

2. Rename the following MIB Objects to stay consistant in terminology
with RFC3164 ("BSD Syslog protocol"):
	- pktcDevEvReportingLevel        to pktcDevEvSeverityLevel
	- pktcDevEventClassReportLevel   to
pktcDevEventClassSeverityLevel
	- pktcDevEventDescrLevel         to
pktcDevEventDescrSeverityLevel

3. The following references are updated in Sections 7 and 8:
[PKT-SP-PROV], [PKT-SP-MGCP], [PKT-SP-CODEC] according to the new
versions of the PacketCable Specifications issued.

4. The Following Textual Conventions are introduced:

4.1. EventClass - to simplify the syntax for pktcDevEventClass, and
pktcDevEventDescrClass MIB Objects

EventClass ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
    STATUS       current
    DESCRIPTION
        "This textual convention represents the identifier 
        of the Event class supported by the MTA. The Event 
        Class is used to allow the MTA to group together 
        various events related to each other."
    SYNTAX   SnmpAdminString (SIZE (1..????)

Co-authors did not have the consensus on whether the SnmpAdminString
should or should not have the max size restriction. Authors are
requesting folks on this mailing list to provide the feedback on this
issue.

4.2. SeverityLevel - to simplify the syntax for pktcDevEvSeverityLevel,
pktcDevEventClassSeverityLevel, and pktcDevEventDescrSeverityLevel MIB
Objects.

SeverityLevel ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
    STATUS       current
    DESCRIPTION
        "This textual convention represents the severity
        levels for the various events reported by the MTA.
        The levels are as described below:
            emergency(0) - A condition that makes the system 
                           unusable.
            alert(1)     - A service-affecting condition for which
                           immediate action must be taken.
            critical(2)  - A service-affecting critical condition.
            error(3)     - An error condition.
            warning(4)   - A warning condition.
            notice(5)    - A normal but significant condition.
            info(6)      - An informational message.
            debug(7)     - A debug message."
    SYNTAX      BITS {
                emergency(0),
                alert(1),
                critical(2),  
                error(3),  
                warning(4),  
                notice(5),
                info(6),
                debug(7) 
                }

5. The following MIB Objects have been modified:

5.1. pktcDevEvControl: DECSRIPTION clause has been modified to clarify
the behavior of the MTA when resetEventLogTable(0) bit is set. Affected
part is:

            "Setting the resetEventLogTable(0) bit to
            a value of '1' clears the entire event log: 
               - deletes all entries in pktcDevEventLogTable,
               - resets the value of pktcDevEvLogIndex to '0'.
            MTA MUST perform the same actions regardless of 
            whether the pktcDevEventLogTable is persistent in 
            non-volatile memory or not.:

5.2. pktcDevEvSyslogAddressType - added the following:
    REFERENCE
            "PacketCable MTA Device Provisioning Specification, 
            [PKT-SP-PROV]."
    DEFVAL { ipv4 }

5.3. pktcDevEvSyslogAddress  - added the following:
    REFERENCE
            "PacketCable MTA Device Provisioning Specification, 
            [PKT-SP-PROV];
            PacketCable Management Event Mechanism Specification,
            [PKT-SP-MEM1.5];
            RFC 3164, The BSD syslog Protocol, [RFC3164]."

5.4. pktcDevEvSyslogUdpPort  - added the following:
    REFERENCE
            "RFC 3164, The BSD syslog Protocol, [RFC3164]."

5.5. pktcDevEvSeverityLevel:
	- SYNTAX changed to SeverityLevel
	- added the following:
    REFERENCE
            "RFC 3164, The BSD syslog Protocol, [RFC3164]."

5.6. pktcDevEventClassReportEntry - DECSRIPTION modified to be the
following:
    DESCRIPTION
            "For each event class defined by a vendor for 
            the events described in the 'pktcDevEventDescrTable',
            MTA MUST create a corresponding entry in this table.

            If an MTA does not define event classes,
            then MTA MUST create one entry for  the event 
            class 'generic'."

5.7. PktcDevEventClassReportEntry - modified to use new SYNTAX for two
obejcts: pktcDevEventClass and pktcDevEventClassSeverityLevel:
	PktcDevEventClassReportEntry::= SEQUENCE {
    pktcDevEventClass                EventClass,
    pktcDevEventReportStatus         TruthValue,
    pktcDevEventClassSeverityLevel   SeverityLevel
    }  

5.8. pktcDevEventClass:
	- SYNTAX changed to EventClass
	- DESCRCIPTOIN clause modified to be the following:

    DESCRIPTION
        "This MIB Object contains the identifier 
         of an event class supported by the device.
         Vendors MAY define different event classes 
         (e.g. DHCP, SNMP, DEBUG) to group together 
         related events. It is expected that vendors 
         use well-chosen names for the classes. 
         If an MTA does not define event classes,
         then the value of this MIB Object MUST be set 
         to 'generic'."

5.9. pktcDevEventClassSeverityLevel: added REFERENCE clause:
    REFERENCE
            "RFC 3164, The BSD syslog Protocol, [RFC3164]."

5.10. PktcDevEventDescrEntry	- modified to use new SYNTAX for two
obejcts: pktcDevEventDescrSeverityLevel and pktcDevEventDescrClass:
	PktcDevEventDescrEntry::= SEQUENCE {
	    pktcDevEventDescrId              Unsigned32,
	    pktcDevEventDescrEnterprise      Unsigned32,
	    pktcDevEventDescrFacility        INTEGER,
	    pktcDevEventDescrSeverityLevel   SeverityLevel,
	    pktcDevEventDescrReporting       BITS,
	    pktcDevEventDescrText            SnmpAdminString,
	    pktcDevEventDescrClass           EventClass
	    }  

5.11. pktcDevEventDescrId - REFERENCE clause added:
    REFERENCE
            "PacketCable Management Event Mechanism Specification,
            [PKT-SP-MEM1.5];
            PacketCable MTA Device Provisioning Specification, 
            [PKT-SP-PROV]."

5.12. pktcDevEventDescrFacility - REFERENCE clause added:
    REFERENCE
            "RFC 3164, The BSD syslog Protocol, [RFC3164]."

5.13. pktcDevEventDescrSeverityLevel:
	- SYNTAX changed to SeverityLevel
	- REFERNCE clause added:
    REFERENCE
            "RFC 3164, The BSD syslog Protocol, [RFC3164]."

5.14. pktcDevEventDescrClass:
	- SYNTAX changed to EventClass
	- MAX-ACCESS changed to "read-only" to avoid cross-reference
consistency complications with pktcDevEventClassReportTable.

5.15. pktcDevEventLogTable - the following added to the end of the
DESCRIPTION clause:
	"The content of the table may or may not persist in the
non-volatile memory."

5.16. pktcDevEvLogTime:
	- the following clarification is made in the DESCRIPTION clause
(as per RFC3164):
	      "This MIB Object provides a human-readable description 
            of the local time at which the event occurred."
                   ^^^^^
	- REFERENCE clause is added:
    REFERENCE
            "RFC 3164, The BSD syslog Protocol, [RFC3164]."

5.17. pktcDevEvLogCorrelationId: 
	- the following has been added to the end of the DECRIPTION
clause:
            "Though Correlation-ID, once generated after MTA
            reset, does not change until next MTA reset, the 
            value of this object will differ for the events 
            preserved across MTA resets in case of the persistent 
            pktcDevEventLogTable."
	- REFERENCE clause added:
    REFERENCE
            "PacketCable MTA Device Provisioning Specification, 
            [PKT-SP-PROV]."

5.18. pktcDevEvLogAdditionalInfo - the following clarification has been
made to the DESCRIPTION clause:
	- old text:
		"However, the MTA is nto required to implement this
funcitoinlaity.", 
	- new text:
            "If MTA does not provide any additional 
            information for the particular even generated, it MUST 
            leave this object empty and return zero-length string."

Eugene.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Sumanth Channabasappa
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2006 7:39 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [ipcdn] Feedback: draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-eventmess-05.txt

Folks,

I have not received any comments on the "PacketCable/IPCablecom
Management Event MIB" draft-05
(ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-eventmess-05.t
xt)

I would request folks on this mailing list to review and bring to my
attention any questions, comments or suggestions (apologies if I missed
any comments, don't recall any on this mailing list).

The last email on this topic was a summary of changes from draft-04 and
can be found at:

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01810.html (Nov
2, 2005)

Thanks!
Sumanth

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn