Subject: (IPng 6999) Re: route distribution via ND

From: Richard Draves <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 21:53:29 -0800

Btw, I came across a minor thing while looking at the ND spec:

It says
   A router MUST limit the rate at which Redirect messages are sent, in
   order to limit the bandwidth and processing costs incurred by the
   Redirect messages when the source does not correctly respond to the
   Redirects, or the source chooses to ignore unauthenticated Redirect
   messages.  More details on the rate-limiting of ICMP error messages
   can be found in [ICMPv6].

But Redirect messages are Type 137, which makes them ICMP informational
messages. In any case I interpret it to say Redirects should be subject to
rate-limiting as if they were error messages. It's too late now, but it
would have saved an extra check in some implementations if Redirects had a
Type < 128.

Rich
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 10:53:45 -0800 (PST)

> rate-limiting as if they were error messages.

That is correct.

> It's too late now, but it

Redirects being informational also has the drawback that nodes can generate
ICMP errors in response to redirects. As long as that error doesn't cause 
another redirect there won't be an infinite number of packets - and rate 
limiting is likely to cut of any redirect + ICMP error ping-pong.

But in hindsight I would feel more confortable if ICMP errors weren't 
generated in response to redirects (which they are not in IPv4).

  Erik

---

From: Rafael Quiroz Plata <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 13:57:25 -0600 (CST)

I need to know what are the options of the traffic class field 
of header of Ipv6, where I can get a good references o resources about
this ?

    	    Thanks a lot 
-- Rafael Quiroz
   University of Mexico

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 10:48:40 +0000

RFC 2474 and RFC 2475

   Brian

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 14:28:15 +0000 (GMT)

> RFC 2474 and RFC 2475

Hmmm, as of today
http://src.doc.ic.ac.uk/rfc/rfc-index.txt
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc-index.txt
claim:

2474 . .. (Not online)

although the diff-serv RFCs of Dec '98 that Brian mentions _are_
in the directories.

Odd. I wish that the rfc-index was in reverse-chronological order with
new stuff at the top, that it had a last-revised date inside it, and
that it was always current.

L.

if you can't even rely on grepping through the current rfc-index...

> > of header of Ipv6, where I can get a good references o resources about

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 15:38:43 +0000

I have informed the appropriate people that the index is broken.

  Brian