Subject: (IPng 7014) Question about redirect function

From: "John F. Leser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 11:11:57 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I have a quick question about redirects:

According to the neighbor discovery specification, in order for a redirect
to be valid, the source address must be the same as the current first-hop
router for the ICMP destination.  Does this mean that a host must have a
destination cache entry before it will accept a redirect for that 
destination?  If not, what happens when a host has more than one router on
its default router list - will it accept redirects from any of them for a
destination it has not communicated with previously?

***************************************************************** 
John Leser                            InterOperability Lab 
IP/Routing Consortium Engineer        University of New Hampshire
                                      7 Leavitt Lane, Room 106
Tel:   (603) 862-0090                 Durham, NH 03824-3525
Fax:   (603) 862-4181
Email: [email-masked]                Web: http://www.iol.unh.edu 

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------