Subject: (IPng 7102) New draft of router-renumbering

From: "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:10:57 -0600

I just submitted a new router renumbering draft (-07).  Changes are
as follows:

A little tightening up of the "ignored on receipt" clauses for
reserved fields and flags which have no meaning in context.

Fixed the text about the flags field, which had gotten out of sync
with the diagram and descriptions.

Gave word-names to the flags for easier reference.

Specified that the response delay timer should start running after
processing, not before.  (Although I presume this is obvious to the
capable implementor.)

Clarified that new auth. keys may already be available when old keys
are invalidated.

Added to the IANA considerations pointers to the sections defining
allocatable fields.

** Added, at IESG request, a new, large section called
"Implementation and Usage Advice" which spells out a method for
deciding when a certain confidence level has been achieved that all
managed routers have received & processed a command.  If anyone wants
to see how it works, I have a quick-and-dirty simulator code.  **
(I imagine someone somewhere has invented this before.  If not, it
may be worth publishing separately as an informational document.)

Updated all the references -- none are internet-drafts any more.

				Matt Crawford
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------