Subject: (IPng 7033) Request to Advance "Basic Socket Interface Extensions for IPv6"

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 13:59:28 -0800

Jeff, Thomas,

The chairs of the IP Next Generation working group, on behalf of the
working group, request that the following document be published as an
Informational RFC:

	Title		: Basic Socket Interface Extensions for IPv6
	Author(s)	: R. Gilligan, S. Thomson, J. Bound, W. Stevens
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipngwg-bsd-api-new-05.txt
	Pages		: 33
	Date		: 05-Jan-99
	
This document replaces RFC2133.  RFC2133 should become Historical.

A working group last call for this document was completed on November 3,
1998 and this document was discussed at the IPng session at the Orlando
IETF.  The current draft (-05) incorporates comments received during the
last call.

Bob Hinden / Steve Deering
IPng Working Group Co-Chairs

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: ryan elson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 23:53:44 -0500

It's nice to see how IP is evolving.  Although I have a little dillemma that
needs fixing, and I'm sure that there's somebody (probably everybody) that
knows the answer to this----A good reason for posting this message eh?
Anyways, I'm setting up a small network, although my stupid ISP isn't being
helpful, nor do they wish to return any of the emails requesting a static IP
address.  Well that means that I won't deal with my ISP.  Next thought was
to look and see how I might actually obtain the rights to a few compliant IP
addresses myself---I looked in a tcp/ip book, and low and behold, I was
instructed to send an email to [email-masked] book said,
"send message requesting further informatio"

Well it turned out that internic is pretty deaf too.  How do I get a few
Static IP addresses, without making them up, or borrowing them off
somebody---and the second part---If internic does do this, is there an
address that I might contact, or a site to see, that would be faster at
obtaining this goal?

I'm from canada, so is there any particular agency (or agencies) that I
should be dealing with?

I've been emailing internic, everyday for the past two weeks, because I want
my network to be online (While it may look like spam now, it wasn't for the
first month and a half of waiting that I did).  While internic may think
that they can do this at their own convienience, my patience with them has
already worn thin.  Actually I'm downright furious with them---and I'm
surprised that I haven't sent them any nasty emails.
So can somebody please help me.....

---

From: ryan elson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 03:02:02 -0500

I'm using a cable modem---not a phone line.  And I also plan on adding
more connections via cable modems.  The simple fact is, is that I can
get the equivalent to a T1 line for only $280CDN /month this
way----which is much more reasonable than having to install new lines
and pay higher monthly fees.---the network I'm on uses DHCP for almost
everything (except for their servers and supposedly (this is what they
told me) people with mac's (as in apple, not media access control) get
static addresses)---They also do not use a proxy or gateway to reduce
the amount of IP addresses being used (why bother---the @home network
has a class B network)---anyways...If I keep goin this email's gunna be
too lengthy.