Subject: (IPng 7023) ACTION: IETF 44 March Meeting 6bone connect in the terminal room

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 09:59:15 -0500

IPv6 Folks,

It has come to my attention that Matt Holderidge from Ascend has relayed
to one of my folks that IPv6 for the 6bone in the IETF 44 Meeting
Terminal room is not getting requested.

Can you all please begin to send mail to Matt ([email-masked]) that we
want IPv6 in the terminal room at Minneapolis.

I don't think all IETF meeting terminal rooms should have access to
the IPv6 6bone and new IPv6 backbone networks we may see by March 99.

Please let Matt hear from you.  Compaq is reviewing now if we can
support IPv6 capable UNIX servers in the terminal room now to support 
IPv6 and why I heard this news.

thanks
/jim
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 10:52:58 -0500

>the IPv6 6bone and new IPv6 backbone networks we may see by March 99.

Typo: Should be:

I think all IETF meeting terminal rooms should have access to
the IPv6 6bone and new IPv6 backbone networks we may see by March 99.

Too early in the a.m. --------)

/jim

---

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 10:58:54 -0500

Marc,

Sorry it was a typo I sent correction.  I had initially written it with
NOT clause and "don't" would have been applicable in the sentence.  I
removed all but the "don't" and it was a typo.

I agree with you.

ALso I think IPv6 should be on the link in the terminal room too.
Also any routers shoulid be supporting the dual-stack at this time.

/jim

---

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 10:48:29 -0500

>IPv6 Folks,

Jim,
	since we provided the ipv6 connectivity to the ietf terminal room since
the last 2 ietfs, I will take care of this offline with Matt. We have some
stats on the use of v6 at the next ietf.

>the IPv6 6bone and new IPv6 backbone networks we may see by March 99.

	I surely think that we must provide ipv6 connectivity to all ietf terminal
rooms. I'm really surprised to see this comment from you.  I think the
first place where ipv6 should be demonstrated fully is at the ietf. 
	I would like to challenge people that for the next ietf, we will be able
to do all our work during ietf in ipv6-only: i.e. email,web,ftp,... (yes,
our company will put soon our production mail server on v6 with pop,
sendmail,..., we already have the normos site on v6 (try it with a AAAA
record http://www.normos.org) so all rfcs,internet-drafts,... are
accessible on v6),...
	We also arranged to mirror the 6bone web site on v6 (try:
http://www.6bone.net with a AAAA record).

	At least, the guys from our company will use v6-only during the next ietf.
Any other takers?

>IPv6 and why I heard this news.

At the last ietf, Compaq already supported the unix servers in v6. Mary did
that.

>/jim

Regards, Marc.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Marc Blanchet			| [email-masked]
Viagénie inc.			| http://www.viagenie.qc.ca
3107 des hôtels		| tél.: 418-656-9254 
Ste-Foy, Québec		| fax.: 418-656-0183
Canada, G1W 4W5		| radio: VA2-JAZ
------------------------------------------------------------
Internet Engineering Standards/Normes d'ingénierie Internet
               http://www.normos.org
------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 01:24:40 +0900

>	At least, the guys from our company will use v6-only during the next ietf.

	Of course we will!

	Actually, in Japan's case it is much confortable to cross the ocean
	by IPv6 than by IPv4.  We used IPv6 to reach hosts in Japan during
	IETF43.  We got a translator box in our NOC, as a last resort (so that
	we can cross the ocean by IPv6 and then contact IPv4 host in Japan).
	This approach worked quite well for IETF42 and 43, and we hope to
	continue and expand "IPv6 from terminal room" approach.

itojun@kame