Subject: (IPng 6997) Re: route distribution via ND

From: "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 16:11:17 -0600

> following simple scenario:  
> 
> Clients sending packets with a prefix P
> *must* be sent via a stub-router S.  
> 
> This stub-router may not have the capability to act as a default router.
> The question is how do clients learn about the route for prefix P to
> stub-router S?
> 
> One approach is to have a default-router send redirects.  What if there
> is no default router in this particular environment?

I think this whole thing is a tempest in a teapot.  (A non-issue, for
those unacquainted with the expression.)

If there is a default router, it should know how to redirect to all
other routers.  Unless you want to say "redirects are bad", this case
is closed.

If there is no default router, fall through to RFC 2461, section
6.3.6, case (3):

     3) If the Default Router List is empty, assume that all
        destinations are on-link as specified in Section 5.2.

Presumably, the "right" router will respond to your NS with an NA,
and there you go.
					Matt
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------