Subject: (IPng 7074) geographic addressing

From: "G. Goldacker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 11:29:36 +0100 (MET)

Can anybody point me to the why and when geographic addressing was removed from
the IPng addressing architecture?
Thanks
Gabriele Goldacker (GMD FOKUS)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 16:40:29 +0000

There has never been a workable proposal for geog. addressing.

For that reason, it doesn't have a format prefix assigned
in RFC 2373 (there was one in the obsolete RFC 1884).

   Brian

---

From: Steve Deering <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 09:09:44 -0800

> There has never been a workable proposal for geog. addressing.

...where "workable" means politically acceptable.

> in RFC 2373 (there was one in the obsolete RFC 1884).

The newer "aggregatable" address format permits aggregates based on
providers, geography, exchanges, or any other workable method of
clustering the topology.  Thus, there is no longer a need for separate
"provider-based" and "geography-based" format prefixes.

Steve