Subject: RE: What is the current status of geographic location in the IPv6 address?

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 10:58:46 -0700

At 10:39 AM 10/9/2003, Michel Py wrote:
> > Bill Manning wrote:
> > I remember them being considered. Steve Deering had
> > this wonderful idea for metro-addressing.
>
>Indeed, in 1995 when he was at parc. Here's a link:
>http://arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us/ipv6mh/metro-addr-slides-jul95.pdf
>However this was never part of the spec AFAIR.

That is correct, it was never part of the IPv6 standards.  I too thought it 
was a nice approach.

Bob

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 21:41:58 +0200

> That is correct, it was never part of the IPv6 standards.  I too  
> thought it was a nice approach.

In that case you may like this one as well:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-van-beijnum-multi6-isp-int- 
aggr-01.txt

Some of the text here is closely related to the information posted by  
Michel Py.

Iljitsch van Beijnum