Subject: Question on RFC 2473 about Tunnel Encapsulation Limit

From: Srinivasan Narasimhan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 14:39:22 +0530

Hi,

Section 4.1.1 of RFC 2473 discusses the procedure to be followed for 
every packet entering the tunnel with respect to Tunnel Encapsulation 
Limit. Following 4 cases are discussed:

1. A packet with a tunnel encapsulation limit value of zero.
2. A packet with a non-zero tunnel encapsulation limit.
3. A packet with no tunnel encapsulation limit, but a tunnel 
encapsulation limit value is configured in the new tunnel entry point.
4. A packet with no tunnel encapsulation limit and no limit is 
configured in the new tunnel entry point.

Consider a case where the incoming IPv6 packet has a tunnel 
encapsulation limit value of 100. But the new tunnel entry point has a 
tunnel encapsulation limit of 50. Should the new tunnel encapsulation 
limit be 99 or 50? I guess this case is not discussed in the RFC.
-- 
Cheers,

Cheenu

+91 (80) 2053120
TN 847-3120
Pager: +91 (9624) 274259
Email Page: [email-masked]

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------