Subject: Re: RFC 2460 issue

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:43:49 -0500 (EST)

Hi Alain,
	Since the hop limit is analogous to TTL in IPv4 the answer should 
be no. But you will not find the answer in RFC 2460 as this was not 
covered in RFC 791. This should be covered in the node requirements draft 
(draft-ietf-ipv6-node-requirements-06.txt) that John is editing. I 
checked the draft but it did not have a section regarding this(analogous 
to RFC 1122 section 3.2.1.7). Maybe this can be added to that draft. I am 
curious as to why you would want to do that though.

Regards
Suresh

 On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Alain Durand wrote:

>I had this question yesterday and I couldn't find an answer in RFC2460:
>
>Is it valid for a host to send a packet with Hop Count set to zero?
>
>	- Alain.
>
>
>
>--------------------------------------------------------------------
>IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
>[email-masked]
>Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
>--------------------------------------------------------------------
>

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:55:48 +0200

> curious as to why you would want to do that though.

I think we have agreed now that the node requirements document is
not a place to list all updates and deficiencies of existing RFCs --
those existing RFCs should be updated instead.

--Jari