Subject: ADMIN: mailing list filter installed for UCE

From: "Matthew J Zekauskas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 17:04:25 -0400

The IPPM Mailing list has been hit twice in the past two
weeks with UCE ("unsolicited commercial email").  While
I'm reluctant to make changes based on one or two posts,
it appears as though we might have been added to some UCE
software's list.

As you all know, the intent of any IETF mailing list is to
remain completely open.  I therefore propose the following
change to stop most UCE, which I belive is consistent with
IETF practice.  Effective Real Soon Now, any mail
that is sent to the list which DOES NOT contain [email-masked]
in the To: or Cc: fields will be bounced to me in my capacity
as list maintainer.  If the mail is at all on-topic I will forward
it to the list, otherwise toss it in the bit bucket.

The intent is to delay anything which is likely irrelevant, and
let everything else through immediately.

The bottom line: you probably don't have to do anything.  Just
make sure you have [email-masked] in the to: or cc: of any mail
you intend to go to the list.

Matt Zekauskas
IP Performance Metrics Working Group Co-Chair & List Maintaner