Subject: Re: [Isis-wg] Doubt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 10:29:11 -0400

Hi Selva,

>I assume that, if any Hello PDU be received by an IS with system >Id same
as the received IS, then it can be discarded. ie Receiving >own hello PDU.

  I could not find reference to this in ISO 10589, where is this spelled
out? If they were not discarded, wouldn't the DR election process work
correctly?

> DOUBTS:
> 1. After DR election c1 , c2 and c4 will say c4 as the DR. But c3 >will
say c3 as the DR. So the  LAN will have more than one DR at a >time

  ISO 10589 states the following pertinent information in section 8.4.4 LAN
Designated Intermediate Systems:

d)After waiting ISISHelloTimer * 2 seconds, run the Level 1 and or the Level
2 Designated Intermediate System election process depending on the
Intermediate system type. This shall be run subsequently whenever an IIH PDU
is received or transmitted...(For these purposes, the transmission of the
system's own IIH PDU is equivalent to receiving it)...

   If IS-3 discards one of the IIH PDUs, I don't believe the DR election
process during circuit initialization will work properly. However,
subsequent DR elections should work properly because IS-3 will know about
both IIH PDUs being generated. Am I off in the weeds?

Cheers,
Ken Larmer
CommSense Networks  

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg