Subject: [ITU+IETF] comments on workshop issue 7 (E.212 IMSIs ...) - long

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 14:47:21 -0500

This is a set of comments on Workshop Issue 7 (E.212 IMSIs ...), and 
     consists of:
     
     -  description,
     -  search results,
     -  information on E.212, and
     -  other comments.
     
     1.  From the Workshop Report, the description of Issue 7 is:
     
     -  Issue #:               7
     -  Issue Title:           E.212 - IMSIs & mobility with IP
     -  Issue Description:     In IETF documents, IMSI's are
                               mentioned but ITU-T Rec E.212
                               is not often referenced. A review
                               of the IETF documents is
                               needed to ensure that the
                               appropriate use of the term
                               IMSI is used.
     -  Related Work:          Rec. E.212
                               Rec. E.214
                               3GPP
                               3GPP2
     -  Responsible Forum:     IETF
     
     2.  Internet Drafts and RFCs were searched for mentions of E.212 and 
     IMSIs.  The search results were:
     
     -  For E.212:             2 Internet Drafts
                               0 RFCs
     -  For IMSI:              6 Internet Drafts
                               1 RFC (current
     
     The Internet Drafts mentioning E.212 were:
     
     -  SS7 over internet applicability statement
        (draft-coene-ss7-over-ip-00.txt) and
     -  Internet and SS7 addressing
        (draft-coene-ss7-IP-addr-00.txt).
     
     The Internet Drafts mentioning IMSI were:
     
     -  Transparent Hierarchical Mobility Agents (THEMA)
        (draft-mccann-thema-00.txt)
     -  Support of IPv6 over Cellular Communications Systems (6Tel)
        (draft-afifi-sixtel-00.txt)
     -  IP Mobility Architecture Framework
        (draft-ietf-mobileip-ipm-arch-00.txt)
     -  IP Mobility Architecture Framework
        (draft-becker-mobileip-ipm-arch-00.txt)
     -  Key Exchange for Network Architectures (KENA)
        (draft-mkhalil-mobileip-kena-00.txt)
     -  Mobile PPP (MPPP)
        (draft-ietf-pppext-mppp-01.txt)
     
     The RFC mentioning IMSI was:  Wireless Device Configuration 
     (OTASP/OTAPA) via ACAP (RFC2636).
     
     3.  Recommendation E.212 was revised by ITU-T Study Group 2 in 1998.  
     The title is "THE INTERNATIONAL IDENTIFICATION PLAN FOR MOBILE 
     TERMINALS AND MOBILE USERS."  The revision reflects the more general 
     scope of the term IMSI ("international mobile subscriber identity" -- 
     formerly known as the "international mobile station identity") and 
     what IMSIs could be used for.
     
     The "Table of Contents and Summary of Recommendation E.212 (11/98)" 
     may be found at "http://www.itu.int/itudoc/itu-t/rec/e/s_e212.html".  
     The summary is":
     
       "A plan for unique international identification of mobile terminals 
     and mobile users is required in order to enable these terminals and 
     users to roam among public networks which offer mobility services. 
     International Mobile Subscriber Identity (IMSI) is required so that a 
     visited network can identify a roaming mobile terminal or mobile user, 
     e.g. in order to query a subscriber's home network for subscription 
     and billing information.
     
       "Recommendation E.190 describes the general principles to be 
     utilized in the assignment of ITU-T E-series international numbering 
     resources. The procedures in this Recommendation, E.212, were 
     developed in accordance with the principles contained in 
     Recommendation E.190, and the statements contained in Recommendation 
     E.190 take precedence over Recommendation E.212."
     
     The scope of E.212 is:  "This Recommendation describes an 
     international identification plan for mobile terminals or mobile users 
     of public networks enabling roaming capabilities. It also establishes 
     procedures for the assignment of International Mobile Subscriber 
     Identities (IMSIs) to the mobile terminals and mobile users of such 
     networks. This Recommendation describes the format of the IMSI."
     
     It is also noted there that:  "an IMSI could be used to identify a UPT 
     user or a subscriber to mobility services, as well as to identify a 
     mobile terminal."
     
     A reference to E.212 from the ITU web site is:  "[E.212] 
     Recommendation E.212 (11/98) - The international identification plan 
     for mobile terminals and mobile users."
     
     4.  Other comments:
     
     a.  As Fred Baker said in an email, "... fundamentally, I think the 
     ITU folks wanted to make sure that IETF use of "IMSI" and theirs 
     correspond ...".  I agree.
     b.  The revisions to E.212 may be of interest to the IETF.
     c.  I am not aware of any other Workshop-related issues for E.212 
     except for referencing the current version of the document.
     d.  I am not aware of issues relevant to E.214, at least in ITU-T SG2, 
     and there's not been any recent work on it there.  Perhaps whoever 
     suggested adding E.214 to the Related Work section of the Workshop 
     matrix could identify if there are any issues that do fall within the 
     Workshop's focus on Numbering, Naming, Addressing, and Routing.
     
     -Andy Gallant

_______________________________________________
ITU+IETF mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/itu+ietf

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 12:22:30 -0800

OK, so give me the executive summary:

	what do you want ITU to do?
	what do you want IETF to do?