Subject: [jose] Protocol Action: 'CFRG ECDH and signatures in JOSE' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-jose-cfrg-curves-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 08:01:27 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'CFRG ECDH and signatures in JOSE'
  (draft-ietf-jose-cfrg-curves-06.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Javascript Object Signing and
Encryption Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stephen Farrell and Kathleen Moriarty.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-jose-cfrg-curves/

Technical Summary

This document defines how to use Diffie-Hellman algorithms "X25519" and 
"X448" as well as signature algorithms "Ed25519" and "Ed448" from IRTF 
CFRG elliptic curves work in JOSE.  An explicit decision was made not to 
include the pre-hash versions of the Edwards Signature algorithms.

Working Group Summary

The chairs believe there was adequate review of this draft.  I would 
have liked to see a few more reviews, however the core cryptographic 
security is considered to be solid, and has had more than sufficient 
review from the CFRG.

Document Quality

The document shepherd is working on an implementation, no others were 
mentioned.

Personnel

Jim Schaad is the Document Shepherd. 
Kathleen Moriarty is the Responsible Area Director.

IANA Note

This draft adds registry entries to several of the JOSE registries.  
IANA has already reviewed and the editors are working on the corrections 
required.