Subject: [jose] JWT BCP on Compression in JWE

From: Brian Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 13:59:34 -0600

On critique of JWT I've seen a few times can be paraphrased as "JWT
supports compressed plaintext so, because of CRIME and BREACH, it is
dangerous and stupid."  It's very possible that I am stupid (many on this
list will likely attest to it) but I don't see the applicability of those
kinds of chosen plaintext attacks aimed at recovering sensitive data to how
JWT/JWE are typically used.

I think it would be useful, if during the development of the JWT BCP, the
authors or chairs or WG could somehow engage some experts (CFRG?) to
understand if there's any real practical advice that can be given about
using compression with JWE and the risks involved.

-- 
*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email may contain confidential and privileged 
material for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, 
distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.  If you have 
received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately 
by e-mail and delete the message and any file attachments from your 
computer. Thank you.*