Subject: racoon2 release

From: Shoichi Sakane <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 12:40:09 +0900

This is from the racoon2 project.

We are ready to release "racoon2" a IPsec key management system.
"racoon2" is a system to exchange and to install security parameters
for the IPsec.  This is provided by the Racoon2 Project in the WIDE
Project, Japan.  The project aims to provide the IPsec system for
FreeBSD, NetBSD and Linux.

We have removed our IKEv2 code from the release because we have an IPR
issue related to IKEv2.  We will release it after the issue will
be solved.  KINK is only supported in the release currently.

You can get the tarball from:
        ftp://ftp.kame.net/pub/racoon2/racoon2-20050128b.tgz

Please ask to [email-masked] if you have any question.

regards,

---

From: Ken Raeburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 01:57:13 -0500

> be solved.  KINK is only supported in the release currently.

I may be being overly picky, but: KINK isn't finalized.  KINK would 
presumably be the name of the final version of the protocol.  So it 
wouldn't be correct to say that it supports KINK, but instead you 
should indicate that it supports a specific draft.  And I expect that 
the final version will not be 100% compatible with the current draft 
(if only in the handling of some of the crypto aspects I've complained 
about), so it would make sense to advise users of that fact as well, 
and plan for either an incompatible change down the road, or support 
for both draft and final versions in some future release.

That said, I think it's great that you're doing this.  Thank you!

Ken

---

From: Shoichi Sakane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:23:31 +0900

Hi, Ken.

You are right.  I only sent the README in the release to the racoon2
mailing list.  it described the draft version kink-06, but it did not
describe our plan related to developing KINK daemon.  i will add it
to the next release.  thank you.