Subject: spnego: Support must proccess optimistic token

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 15:57:11 -0500

Hi.  I'd like to express support for the current text that requires
must process an optimistic token if one is provided.  I believe this
makes implementations simpler to code and reduces the testing matrix.
Also, it is not incompatible with any of the reasons given for SHOULD
send optimistic instead of MUST send optimistic.

I understand Martin's concern that this text may make some existing
RFC 2748 implementations non-conformant.  I think that when recycling
at proposed, which is what we plan to do for SPNEGO, it is acceptable
to add additional requirements that have been found to be
advantageous.  There would be a higher bar to meet if it were
impossible to meet the requirements of both RFC 2748 and the new
requirements.  However RFC 2748 clearly permits the processing of
optimistic tokens.

I do believe that Martin has brought up points regarding
incompatibilities with RFC 2748 that require careful consideration.
My generals thoughts are that we are going in the right direction and
are doing the best job we can.  However I'm still considering Martin's
messages on the subject.  I do plan to write a note giving my opinion
on that issue once I finish forming it in the next day or so.

--Sam

_______________________________________________
Kitten mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/kitten