Subject: IETF61 Kitten WG Summary

From: Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:48:39 -0500

IETF 61: Kitten Working Group Summary
Monday, November 8, 2004
Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]> [chair]

Presentations: 
  http://web.mit.edu/jaltman/Public/Kitten/ietf61/ietf61-kitten.pdf

The chair announced the creation of the working group by the
IESG; reviewed the charter and the groups initial milestones.

Since the BOF at IETF 60 there has been significant progress
on:
+ describing the GSS Naming problem
+ solving the interoperability problems between protected SPNEGO 
  and implementations which have been widely deployed
+ defining the requirements and interfaces for PRFs
+ C# bindings
+ Roadmap document

Nico gave a presentation on PRF

Nico gave a presentation on Domain Names

Chair presented Corby Morris' presentation on C# Bindings

Larry Zhu gave a presentation on SPNEGO

Sam Hartman gave a presentation on GSS Naming

Chair lead discussion on whether or not implementation of Kerberos 5 
mechanism support for PRF and Domain Names should take place in kitten
or krb-wg.

DECISIONS (to be validated on the list):

+ Maintaining interoperability with existing deployed SPNEGO implementations
  is more important then the ability to add new features such as protect 
  reqFlags

+ No consensus was reached on whether the use of an optimistic token in SPNEGO
  will be SHOULD or MAY.

+ There are strong feelings against the relaxing the MUST NOT applied to the
  negotiation of mechanisms which do not support integrity protection

+ The GSS Naming document will describe the problem space and not just 
  solutions

+ The Kerberos 5 mechanism documents will working group documents of Kitten.
  We will work closely with the Kerberos WG to ensure proper review and we
  we last call in both.  This decision was made by flipping a coin.

ACTION ITEMS:

+ Larry Zhu will follow up on the outstanding issues with SPNEGO and report
  to the list by Fri Nov 19

+ The chair will send a list of working group documents to the secretariat

+ Nico Williams will publish new I-Ds for PRF and Domain Names including 
  results of recent on-list discussions

+ The Chair will contact Sun Java Security team to obtain a draft describing
  the incompatibilities between RFC and org.ietf.jgss

+ Sam Hartman will revise GSS Naming document and then hand it off to a new
  editor

MILESTONES:

Nov 04	  	First Meeting
Dec 04          Prepare SPNEGO for Last Call
Mar 05	  	Submit SPNEGO to the IESG as Proposed Standard
Mar 05	  	First drafts of either 'Clarifications to GSSAPIv2' as 
                Informational OR submit 'Generic Security Service Application 
                Program Interface Version 2, Update 2' and 'Generic Security 
                Service API Version 2, Update 2 : C-bindings' to the IESG as 
                Proposed Standard   
Jul 05	  	Submit either 'Clarifications to GSSAPIv2' as Informational OR 
                submit 'Generic Security Service Application Program Interface 
                Version 2, Update 2' and 'Generic Security Service API Version 
                2, Update 2 : C-bindings' to the IESG as Proposed Standard   
Jul 05	  	Submit 'The Channel Conjunction Mechanism (CCM) for the 
                GSSAPI' to the IESG as Proposed Standard 
Jul 05	  	Submit 'The Simple and Protected GSS-API Negotiation Mechanism 
                (Revised)' to the IESG as Proposed Standard 
Nov 05	  	Submit 'GSSAPI Mechanisms without a Unique Canonical Name' to 
                the IESG as Proposed Standard 
Jul 06	  	Submit 'Generic Security Service Application Program Interface 
                Version 3' to the IESG as Proposed Standard  
Jul 06	  	Submit 'Generic Security Service API Version 3 : C-bindings' 
                to the IESG as Proposed Standard 
Jul 06	  	Submit 'Generic Security Service API Version 3 : Java and C# 
                bindings' to the IESG as Proposed Standard 
Nov 06	  	Charter Review

_______________________________________________
Kitten mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/kitten