Subject: Conflict of interest: SPNEGO?

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:03:46 -0500

There has been a bit of confusion surrounding the authors/editors for
SPNEGO.  Larry asked me if I wanted to be listed as an author; I
didn't see the message and he took my silence as confirmation.

As it turns out I don't think I should be listed as an author although
I probably should be acknowledged in the acknowledgements section.

I think this was just a misunderstanding.  However I want to make sure
that the working group does not believe a conflict of interest exists
for me being the AD handling that document.  Below, I'll list what I
believe my contributions to that document are.  If you believe that I
should recuse myself and ask Russ to Shepard the document please let
Jeff Altman or I know.

First, I have sent several messages about the draft.  I described
changes I saw between Larry's first version and RFC 2748 as well as
pointing out issues that needed more review.  I participated in
discussions of the issues I brought up.

At the IETF meeting, I participated in several meetings with Larry,
Nico and Jeff Altman.  Other people were in some of these meetings.
The goal was to determine whether Larry's somic rules were secure.  We
discussed various modifications to reduce round trips or improve
security.  I also helped work through an understanding of what threats
we were trying to protect against and what security guarantee the
SPNEGO protocol makes.

I've proposed text to be included in the security considerations
section and proposed text on extensibility of the protocol.  I've also
reviewed several versions of the draft and discussed whether various
proposed changes impacted security.

I described some things I believed the security considerations section
needed to cover on the mailing list.  I also brought up
interoperability/compatibility concerns with the proposal to drop
support for mechanisms without integrity.

I've also responded to several mailing list exchanges that happened
since the meeting.

--Sam

_______________________________________________
Kitten mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/kitten