Subject: RE: name canonicalization

From: Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 14:44:47 EDT

> > What about caching?
> > (My option: good question, what does W2K do today?)
> 
> I don't know for sure; I don't think it's much. Regardless of what it
> currently does, I can't think of any reason why a client couldn't
> remember that
> 	"ftp/bar"
> got canonicalized to "ftp/[email-masked]" and use the
> ticket for the latter the next time a ticket for the former is
> requested, if the ticket hasn't yet expired.
> 
> In order to reduce KDC load, I would say that such caching should be
> encouraged.

We can only cache the relationship between "ftp/bar"  and
"ftp/[email-masked]" if we know that the lifetime of
the alias is either "static" or guarranteed not to change during the
lifetime of the ticket.

Is this the case?  If so, this should be documented in the revisions
draft.

                  Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer
                 The Kermit Project * Columbia University
               612 West 115th St * New York, NY * 10025 * USA
     http://www.kermit-project.org/ * [email-masked]

---

From: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 11:59:12 -0700 (PDT)

> the alias is either "static" or guaranteed not to change during the
> lifetime of the ticket.

Is there an existing requirement that the name of a service not change
during the lifetime of a ticket?  I think that all that can be said is
that if you change the name of a service, you can expect info cached at
clients to result in failures, and this warning applies to both canonical
names and aliases.

 - RL "Bob"