Subject: Short Summary - KRB-WG Pittsburgh meeting

From: "Douglas E. Engert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 20:42:04 -0500

Here is the short summary of the Kerberos WG meeting. 

The first meeting of the Kerberos WG was held 8/2/2000 in Pittsburgh with 79 attendees 
in a room designed for 60. After a short introduction of the new working group, the bulk 
of the meeting was concerned with discussions of the Kerberos-Revisions.  Many other 
documents are being gated by the Revisions, including a PKIX document, so getting the 
revisions to last-call is the primary objective of the WG. Cliff Neuman led the discussion 
and will be posting sections of the updated revisions with difference to the mailing list 
for "last-call". The first section has been promised in a week. It is expected that the 
whole document can be ready for last-call this month. The status of PKINIT, PKCROSS, 
PKTAPP, "Kerberos GSSAPI Version 2" and "Distributing Kerberos KDC and Realm information 
with DNS" were presented with minor discussion. IAKERB and "Kerberos Set/Change Password" 
had a bit more discussion, with concerns of clients setting keys. Other Kerberos related 
activity was presented which included: "LDAP Access for KDC Databases", "SSH v2 and 
Kerberos", and "Kerberos V Authentication Mode for Uninitialized Clients".  The working 
group gave the author's of these lots of advice to say the least.  The use of GSSAPI 
rather then direct Kerberos calls was suggested if possible. A new group to be formed 
was announced for Kerberos and Telnet. The meeting lasted just over 2 hours.  

-- 

 Douglas E. Engert  <[email-masked]>
 Argonne National Laboratory
 9700 South Cass Avenue
 Argonne, Illinois  60439 
 (630) 252-5444