Subject: Re: name canonicalization review

From: Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 20:13:12 EST

In addition to the five topics that Ken Raeburn raised there is one
additional one that he and I have talked about offline:

Section 6.3.5 Triple DES with HMAC-SHA1 Kerberos Encryption Type with
and without Key Derivation specifies

  "The string-to-key function is used to tranform UNICODE passwords
  into DES3 keys."

and

  "The lengths of UNICODE encoded character strings include the
  trailing terminator character (0)."

BUT it does not state what form the UNICODE encoded character string
is using.  Is this UCS2?  If so, which Byte Order and does it contain
a Byte Order Mark (BOM)?  Or is this supposed to be UTF-8?  

It would seem to me that this should be required to be UTF-8.  Using
UCS2 which appear to be a bad idea because of the number of NUL bytes
that will be in the string, not to mention the byte order issues.

                  Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer
                 The Kermit Project * Columbia University
               612 West 115th St * New York, NY * 10025 * USA
     http://www.kermit-project.org/ * [email-masked]