Subject: Short Summary - KRB-WG Minneapolis meeting

From: "Douglas E. Engert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 14:57:57 -0600

[Here is the short summary of the Kerberos WG meeting. (I will not be at the 
SAAG meeting, but Cliff said he could represent the WG]

The third meeting of the Kerberos WG was held 3/20/2001 in Minneapolis with about 50
attendees. 
After a short introduction of the working group, the bulk of the meeting was concerned with 
discussions of the Kerberos-Revisions and the Referrals. 

Cliff Neuman described a number of minor changes then turn the discussion over to Ken
Reaburn
to discuss the new Section 6. This went well, with a few questions about other encryption
methods, such as RC4-HMAC and AES could fit within this framework. All agreed that they
could.
There are still some things to be done.

Tom Yu then described the new section 5. This section tries to address many backward 
compatibility issues, but adds a lot of complexity to the draft. The Kerberos String
and UTF-8 issues came up again. It was decide that a smaller group would meet after the
meeting
to discuss these issues. 

John Brezak then described the Referrals and name canonicalization documents. This too has
a number of concerns and further discussions was tabled to later in the week. 

Cliff then continued with the revisions, and there was general consensus (20 to 1) that all
the
text in the Revisions referring to name canonicalization and referrals work could dropped,
as 
these are covered by the Referrals. This will let us move forward on the Revisions. 

Brian Tung described the latest revision to PKINIT. The recent last call had a number
of concerns, and a new draft was produced. There are still some issues with  E-E DH
but it could be ready for last call again in two weeks. (Still subject to 
reference to the Revisions, and the flags in the Revisions for PKINIT.)

Ken Hornstein presented KDC and Realm Information with DNS and said another draft
is needed, and could be ready in a month or two for last call.

Jonathan Trostle presented the Kerberos changes/set password I-D update 
and the IAKERB. Both of these need some more changes. 

Donna Skibbie present KDC LDAP Schema. This draft missed the cutoff, but she was invited
to speak on this again, so that the working group could give more input, and deiced
if this had merit. The presentation was accepted rather well, with even some comments on
using this as the admin interface, include updating keys. The consensus 15 to 2
was that this should go forward. Other interested in this work should contact Donna, and she 
was going to submit this as a draft, and possible a draft which could access the keys as
well. 
It would then be upto the Area Directors if these should be assigned to the working group. 

Twelve people then meet after the meeting to discuss Sections 5 issues. The main outcome 
of this was that the revisions is trying to do to many things at once. It should be 
cut back to address only interoperability problems, features which are currently being
implemented
and some interoperability problems. In effect it would document Kerberos V5.1. New features
should be let to a V5.2 Revisions.  

-- 

 Douglas E. Engert  <[email-masked]>
 Argonne National Laboratory
 9700 South Cass Avenue
 Argonne, Illinois  60439 
 (630) 252-5444