Subject: krb-revisions section 6 functions: test vectors

From: Ken Raeburn <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Mar 2001 00:53:06 -0500

Aside from the n-fold test vector from Marc Horowitz, all of these
were generated tonight with code I just wrote, so it'd be helpful to
have someone (ideally, using something other than MIT's
implementation) confirm the values, including the UTF-8 encoding,
before this gets incorporated into kerberos-revisions.

I'm assuming it'll be an appendix to the document, not part of the
specification.  I've used appendix "Z" for numbering.  It could be
incorporated into section 6 if desired, but whereever it goes, I do
think it needs to be part of the document.

Ken

---

From: Assar Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Mar 2001 08:41:26 +0100

> before this gets incorporated into kerberos-revisions.

I've tested the n-fold, mit_des_string_to_key, DES3 DK, and
DES3string_to_key test vectors with the current Heimdal code (and
added them to our test-suite).  They all check out.  Since we haven't
got any implementation of combine-keys I haven't tested that.

/assar

---

From: Ken Raeburn <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Mar 2001 22:01:57 -0500

Assar Westerlund <[email-masked]> writes:
> added them to our test-suite).  They all check out.

Thanks for checking.  I'd expected these parts to work, thanks to our
previous interoperability testing.

>  Since we haven't

We didn't either, until the program I wrote to generate the values for
the appendix. :-)  The old kerberos-passwords draft on
preauthentication methods (which should probably be revived at some
point) needed generic key-combining functionality.  MIT's current
code, and the specific language in the draft, only deal with DES keys.

If you've got the time, I'd appreciate it if you could throw something
together to check my results.

Ken

---

From: Ken Hornstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 00:10:17 -0500

>code, and the specific language in the draft, only deal with DES keys.

Reviving that is bubbling up towards the top of my priority list.  How
about we chat about what's necessary for this to work next week?

--Ken