Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Kerberos Revisions and UTF8]

From: Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 17:26:55 EDT

> >>>>> "NW" == Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> NW> This may be a stupid question:
> NW>  - could we get away with defining a KerberosString type which consists
> NW>    of unescaped UTF-8 and which is tagged the same as GeneralString?
> 
> I suspect not.  Harald spoke against it during the WG meeting.
> 

I think we are going to have to accept that the Revisions document
will be limited to ASCII.

Then a subsequent version of Kerberos supporting UTF8 will have to be
issued with a higher version number.  In that version we can break the
compatibility of some of the data structures.

- Jeff

 Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer      C-Kermit 8.0 Beta available
 The Kermit Project @ Columbia University   includes Secure Telnet and FTP
 http://www.kermit-project.org/             using Kerberos, SRP, and 
 [email-masked]          OpenSSL.  SSH soon to follow.

---

From: Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 17:34:41 -0400

> will be limited to ASCII.

Microsoft won't like that, but then, maybe they won't care...

I'd love to hear what they are willing to settle for.

> compatibility of some of the data structures.

Ick. Kerberos VI? Just to deal with UTF8? Transition issues...

> - Jeff

Sounds like fun. Not.

Nico
--
. 
-DISCLAIMER: an automatically appended disclaimer may follow. By posting-
-to a public e-mail mailing list I hereby grant permission to distribute-
-and copy this message.-

Visit our website at http://www.ubswarburg.com

This message contains confidential information and is intended only 
for the individual named.  If you are not the named addressee you 
should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.  Please 
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this 
e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free 
as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, 
arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.  The sender therefore 
does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents 
of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.  If 
verification is required please request a hard-copy version.  This 
message is provided for informational purposes and should not be 
construed as a solicitation or offer to buy or sell any securities or 
related financial instruments.

---

From: Tom Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 Aug 2001 17:53:18 -0400

>> will be limited to ASCII.

This may be the case, but we do have to recognize a transition
strategy for the poor souls who have broken things by abusing
GeneralString.

NW> Microsoft won't like that, but then, maybe they won't care...

NW> I'd love to hear what they are willing to settle for.

We are working on a transition strategy.  You are missing some context
that has happened offline, but we will likely summarize when things
are a little less insane.

>> compatibility of some of the data structures.

NW> Ick. Kerberos VI? Just to deal with UTF8? Transition issues...

It won't be called Kerberos 6.  There will be considerable thought
applied to the transition issues, though.  Besides, global version
numbers Do Not Work given the protocol framework that exists.

---Tom