Subject: Comments on draft-ietf-krb-wg-hw-auth-00.txt

From: Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 12:37:00 -0400

It seems to me that PA-TGS-REQ should be used instead of a new padata
type ("PA-ALT-PRINC"). Using PA-TGS-REQ would provide a session key in
which to encrypt the resulting ticket, which seems better than using the
alternate principal's long-term key.

If there is no need for the KDC to suggest an alternate principal (I
don't see why it should, other than convenience to the AS client) then
there is no need for PA-ALT-PRINC at all.

Existing KDC software has code to decode PA-TGS-REQ padata so using
PA-TGS-REQ instead of PA-ALT-PRINC should result in better code
re-use.

The use of a session key is preferable over the use of a long-term key, no?

Also, this proposal comes close to being an impersonation service,
something I'm interested in. I'm writing a draft proposal for such a
service, the idea being that one could grant some principals the right
to obtain service tickets in some other principals' names.

Nico
--
. 
-DISCLAIMER: an automatically appended disclaimer may follow. By posting-
-to a public e-mail mailing list I hereby grant permission to distribute-
-and copy this message.-

Visit our website at http://www.ubswarburg.com

This message contains confidential information and is intended only 
for the individual named.  If you are not the named addressee you 
should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.  Please 
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this 
e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free 
as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, 
arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.  The sender therefore 
does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents 
of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.  If 
verification is required please request a hard-copy version.  This 
message is provided for informational purposes and should not be 
construed as a solicitation or offer to buy or sell any securities or 
related financial instruments.