Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Kerberos Revisions and UTF8]

From: Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 11:21:06 EDT

Thanks.  We are going to need it.

- Jeff

> Right. Good luck then. :)
> 
> Nico

 Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer      C-Kermit 8.0 Beta available
 The Kermit Project @ Columbia University   includes Secure Telnet and FTP
 http://www.kermit-project.org/             using Kerberos, SRP, and 
 [email-masked]          OpenSSL.  SSH soon to follow.

---

From: Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 16:01:12 -0400

This may be a stupid question:

 - could we get away with defining a KerberosString type which consists
   of unescaped UTF-8 and which is tagged the same as GeneralString?

Nico

--
. 
-DISCLAIMER: an automatically appended disclaimer may follow. By posting-
-to a public e-mail mailing list I hereby grant permission to distribute-
-and copy this message.-

Visit our website at http://www.ubswarburg.com

This message contains confidential information and is intended only 
for the individual named.  If you are not the named addressee you 
should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.  Please 
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this 
e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free 
as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, 
arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.  The sender therefore 
does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents 
of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.  If 
verification is required please request a hard-copy version.  This 
message is provided for informational purposes and should not be 
construed as a solicitation or offer to buy or sell any securities or 
related financial instruments.

---

From: Tom Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 Aug 2001 17:21:44 -0400

>>>>> "NW" == Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]> writes:

NW> This may be a stupid question:
NW>  - could we get away with defining a KerberosString type which consists
NW>    of unescaped UTF-8 and which is tagged the same as GeneralString?

I suspect not.  Harald spoke against it during the WG meeting.

---Tom

---

From: "Douglas E. Engert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 04:10:37 -0500

I don't know as much as I would like about ASN.1 or UFT8 strings, but
to help solve the problem, could we change the use of GeneralString
to be a Choice between the old misused GeneralString, the real UFT8String,
an IA5String (if is was true ASCII) or IA61String (for other 8bits).  
This would be done only in the messages with the new application numbers,
so would follow the convention we are setting up for the revisions. 

This would still allow an implementation to continue to use the 
misused GeneralString, but would provide for other names as needed.
Then to be truly compliant, you would never use GeneralString,
and would use IA5String, or UTF8String if needed.

This would also imply that in the database, you may need to save the
ASN1 sting type, or have to derive it each time.

-- 

 Douglas E. Engert  <[email-masked]>
 Argonne National Laboratory
 9700 South Cass Avenue
 Argonne, Illinois  60439 
 (630) 252-5444