Subject: RE: [Fwd: Re: Kerberos Revisions and UTF8]

From: Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 16:49:28 EDT

> A warning telling users to not use non-ASCII characters in their names
> will not work. We need to deal with the fact that there are realms with
> non-ASCII characters and not expect that people will heed any warnings.
> 
> Especially since Windows 2000 is shipped as a global product that has
> been localized for many countries, there is no way to guarantee this.

John:

The warning is primarily geared to those users of MIT or Heimdal
Kerberos 5.  Clearly, there is nothing that anyone (other than
Microsoft) can say or do about Windows 2000/XP.  

Clearly we have to do something about this problem.  The question is
whether it happens in revisions or in a separate post revisions RFC.
In the meantime, since we don't know what the solution to the current
dilemma will be, it does make sense to advise those users that can
restrict themselves to ASCII to do so.  This is especially true for 
MIT and Heimdal users because the certainly do not support the
forthcoming solution.  Whether it is Windows 2000/XP compatible or
not.

- Jeff

 Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer      C-Kermit 8.0 Beta available
 The Kermit Project @ Columbia University   includes Secure Telnet and FTP
 http://www.kermit-project.org/             using Kerberos, SRP, and 
 [email-masked]          OpenSSL.  SSH soon to follow.

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 18:51:11 -0400 (EDT)

> whether it happens in revisions or in a separate post revisions RFC.

This was actually discussed at the WG meeting last week, and in a
conversation several of us had with Patrik on the following day.  Sometime
soon (likely after I return to Pittsburgh), I'll be posting a summary of
that latter meeting.

-- Jeff