Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Kerberos Revisions and UTF8]

From: Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 11:34:34 EDT

> On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 11:04:55AM -0400, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> > Tom wrote:
> > > Keep in mind that the 7-bit piece of UTF-8 is ASCII, so even Microsoft
> > > implementations are compliant if they don't send any chracters outside
> > > of ASCII.
> > 
> > That is true.  There is only a problem in parts of the world that use
> > non-ASCII characters in Windows names for users, realms, and services.
> 
> Would a recommendation to existing users of existing implementations to
> stick only to ASCII be useful at this point?

That is the point of specifying in Revisions that only ASCII is to be
used.

 Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer      C-Kermit 8.0 Beta available
 The Kermit Project @ Columbia University   includes Secure Telnet and FTP
 http://www.kermit-project.org/             using Kerberos, SRP, and 
 [email-masked]          OpenSSL.  SSH soon to follow.

---

From: Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 11:46:52 -0400

> That is the point of specifying in Revisions that only ASCII is to be

Yes, but I'm thinking of a recommendation that is clearly meant for
*users* as much as for the implementors.

And more specifically, should folks like myself raise a flag in our
organizations about this.

>  Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer      C-Kermit 8.0 Beta available

Nico
--
. 
-DISCLAIMER: an automatically appended disclaimer may follow. By posting-
-to a public e-mail mailing list I hereby grant permission to distribute-
-and copy this message.-

Visit our website at http://www.ubswarburg.com

This message contains confidential information and is intended only 
for the individual named.  If you are not the named addressee you 
should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.  Please 
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this 
e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free 
as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, 
arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.  The sender therefore 
does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents 
of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.  If 
verification is required please request a hard-copy version.  This 
message is provided for informational purposes and should not be 
construed as a solicitation or offer to buy or sell any securities or 
related financial instruments.