Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Kerberos Revisions and UTF8]

From: Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 11:11:11 EDT

> Then:
> 
>     . Stick with GeneralString but break the rules for its use and
>       require unescaped UTF8
> 
> sounds like the way to go...
> 

Except that we have been told this will not be accepted by the IESG
since it breaks the ASN.1 standards.  It also is not guaranteed to be
accepted by ASN.1 conformant parsers since the unescaped GeneralString
should not contain characters that cannot be represented in 7 bits.

 Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer      C-Kermit 8.0 Beta available
 The Kermit Project @ Columbia University   includes Secure Telnet and FTP
 http://www.kermit-project.org/             using Kerberos, SRP, and 
 [email-masked]          OpenSSL.  SSH soon to follow.

---

From: Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 11:17:56 -0400

Right. Good luck then. :)

Nico

--
. 
-DISCLAIMER: an automatically appended disclaimer may follow. By posting-
-to a public e-mail mailing list I hereby grant permission to distribute-
-and copy this message.-

Visit our website at http://www.ubswarburg.com

This message contains confidential information and is intended only 
for the individual named.  If you are not the named addressee you 
should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.  Please 
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this 
e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free 
as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, 
arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.  The sender therefore 
does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents 
of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.  If 
verification is required please request a hard-copy version.  This 
message is provided for informational purposes and should not be 
construed as a solicitation or offer to buy or sell any securities or 
related financial instruments.