Subject: Re: DNS and TLS

From: Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 17:10:01 EDT

> 
> 
> Why is the DNS draft supporting TLS KDC location when we have not
> agreed that's a direction we want to go for Kerberos?
> 
> Also, I thought that draft was being integrated, or was it being
> referenced?
> 

The portion of the draft related to KDC location has been integrated
into section 8.

The Internet-Draft itself remains a separate document as it contains
additional methods for finding KDCs which have not been agreed to as
parts of Clarifications or Extensions.

The TLS KDC location is specified to (hopefully) ensure that if
something John Brezak hinted at during the MIT Interim session is
actually implemented; that it will be done using the DNS SRV lookup
format that is preferred by the DNS folks and not something else.

 Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer     Kermit 95 2.0 GUI available now!!!
 The Kermit Project @ Columbia University  SSH, Secure Telnet, Secure FTP, HTTP
 http://www.kermit-project.org/            Secured with MIT Kerberos, SRP, and 
 [email-masked]               OpenSSL.

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 20:00:43 -0400

>>>>> "Jeffrey" == Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]> writes:

    Jeffrey> The TLS KDC location is specified to (hopefully) ensure
    Jeffrey> that if something John Brezak hinted at during the MIT
    Jeffrey> Interim session is actually implemented; that it will be
    Jeffrey> done using the DNS SRV lookup format that is preferred by
    Jeffrey> the DNS folks and not something else.

OK.  We really should get moving on the draft to implement the DCE RFC
and what other preauth solution we end up adopting.