Subject: new crypto draft submitted

From: Ken Raeburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 16:18:36 -0400

I've sent in the -02 version of the Kerberos crypto I-D.
For those who can't wait :-), there's a copy at
http://www.mit.edu/~raeburn/draft-ietf-krb-wg-crypto-02.txt as well.

    Changes from -01 to -02:

    Deleted some text missed last time around, suggesting that cipher
    state can be empty.

    Required that the plaintext to be encrypted be non-empty.

    Modified simplified profile to separate cipher block size and
    message block size; this allows support for cipher text stealing,
    where the confounder is a block and the (non-empty) message needs
    no padding.  Modified simplified profile to support truncated
    HMAC.

    Updated several parts of the DES descriptions using text from
    Simon Josefsson, or based on reports from him.  In particular, the
    string-to-key description and pseudocode have been rewritten, and
    intermediate results shown for one test case.

    Introduce up front the idea of encryption and checksum type number
    assignments.

    Footnote example of extending CBC across messages as one use of
    cipher state chaining.  Mention that there could be other,
    non-random things besides initial vectors to chain.

    DES-CBC initial vector is always the key, not "unless otherwise
    specified".

    Added more examples for n-fold, specifically folding "kerberos" to
    various lengths.

    Added IANA Considerations section.

Ken