Subject: Interim krb-wg Meeting Notes Oct 1-2, 2002

From: "Douglas E. Engert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 11:41:08 -0500

The krb-wg of the IETF met at MIT on Oct 1-2, 2002 as per 
announcement to the IETF and WG mail lists. 

In attendance were: Jeff Altman, Doug Engert, Sam Hartman, Paul Hill,
Ken Hornstein, Jeffrey Hutzelman, Matt Hur, Cliff Neuman, Ken Raeburn,
Marshall Vale and Tom Yu. Jeff Shiller was present for part of the meeting.

The agenda for the meeting was to edit the Clarifications, and discuss Extensions. 
We made great progress on Clarifications and its related documents, KCRYPTO,
and AES. We really never got to extensions as most of the meeting was discussing
and editing Clarifications. 

All those present agreed that the Clarifications will be ready for WG last call
within a few days, after some final editing and conversion from html to the standard
IETF format.  By Monday, Oct 7 we are requesting the WG to look over the
html version, and in particular supply additional text for the Section 11  
"Security Considerations" (Which is listed under the Section 10 on the web page.)

(I will send out another note this morning after some of the last minute changes
are added. But you can start looking at]:

 http://www.kerberos.isi.edu  for the Clarifications, and the KCRYPTO.

Of special note: After discussions with the Security AD, Section 9.1 "Specifications 2"
was updated to require AES. It was felt that the AES document would be ready along with 
Clarifications. And to require any other strong encryption methods in the document which
would then be replaced with AES within a short time would place to large a burden 
on the vendors to implement two methods.  

A tentative agenda for the Atlanta meeting was also discussed. I will be sending 
out a separate note on this in the next few days. We had a 1 hour session planed 
for Atlanta, but have now submitted a request for a 2 hour session. 
 
This was a very good working group meeting, where we appeared to have got a lot done,
I don't think we could have done this without the face to face intensive editing
session. It looks like we will finally after 2 and half years will have an updated
Kerberos document ready for last call. I wish to thank all those who participated.

Doug Engert - Chairman 

-- 

 Douglas E. Engert  <[email-masked]>
 Argonne National Laboratory
 9700 South Cass Avenue
 Argonne, Illinois  60439 
 (630) 252-5444