Subject: RE: [Fwd: Re: Submission of draft-ietf-cat-iakerb-08.txt to IESG]

From: Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 13:09:39 EDT

> Jeffrey wrote:
> 
> as you can tell from the discussion, the problem is a lack of people to
> discuss the topic from a position of expertise.  Most expertise comes from
> experience related to implementation.  Since no one has attempted to
> implement this draft I believe it is impossible for us to resolve the
> issues.  
> 
> If this draft is going to be important to you, I hope you will find the time
> to review it closely in the short term.  It would be very bad if this draft
> is approved as an RFC simply because of lack of proper review and then in
> three months time when you need to implement it you find that you cannot.
> 
> -------------
> 
> I will try and find time to look at the draft in next few days, but we are
> not just interested in this draft. We are looking to get our GSS-API,
> SPNEGO, EAP-GSS, 802.1X and IAKERB together to create a solution. There is a
> lot of new technology and drafts in different stages of maturity that need
> to be considered, the IAKERB is only one of them. I hope this helps you
> understand why it may take us a number of months to validate on paper of in
> prototype whether IAKERB meets our needs. 
> 
> For the reasons explained above - my last posting to this distribution
> suggested that we leave it as a draft or perhaps (if possible) move to some
> mid-way status between an RFC and draft - is that the Experimental status ?
> I noticed that the EAP-GSS draft is in experimental status, so perhaps that
> is the right place to put the IAKERB draft ?
> 
> 

It is my opinion that the draft should be made an Experimental RFC
until such time as some real world implementation experience is
available.  

 - Jeff

 Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer     Kermit 95 2.0 GUI available now!!!
 The Kermit Project @ Columbia University  SSH, Secure Telnet, Secure FTP, HTTP
 http://www.kermit-project.org/            Secured with MIT Kerberos, SRP, and 
 [email-masked]               OpenSSL.