Subject: My $0.02 on iakerb

From: [email-masked] (Sam Hartman)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 13:15:16 -0400 (EDT)

So, it seems Iakerb has become the lively topic of the day.  W

I admit that Martin has raised what appear to me valid problems with
the draft.  OThers concerns about preauth and about interactions with
extensions have also been raised at various points.

I will also admit that I personally interpreted the silence last
September to be agreement with Martin rather than a consensus that he
was wrong.  However it is the WG chair's job to judge consensus and if
people had been paying attention they could have done a better job of
making their positions known.  

But does it really benefit us to have this argument now?  What harm is
done if Iakerb goes forward?  It is not an ideal solution to the
problem, but it is a solution people have implemented.  Will it hurt
much if it becomes a proposed standard?

If people are going to come back later and complain that extensions
breaks iakerb or that Kerberos has move in directions that make the
iakerb spec hard to implement then it is in fact worth our time to
have an all-out process battle on this issue now.  If however, we
realize that Iakerb will need to change to keep up with proposed and
future changes in Kerberos, then I'd rather not waste the effort
discussing the document any more at this time.  Instead, I'd rather
let it move on or fail to move on as the IESG sees fit and actually
work on Kerberos.

---

From: Ken Hornstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 13:25:11 -0400

>much if it becomes a proposed standard?

I don't know that it will hurt _that_ much ... but I know that I only
chimed up because of Doug's comment that it was only Martin that was
objecting.  Okay, I slacked off last time, and I should have been paying
more attention back then ... but, looking at it now, I think IAKERB
has some problems, and I'll have to agree with Martin on that.  I
personally would favor going experimental (and I'm not sure why
at least sample implementations are waiting on that).

--Ken