Subject: RE: [Fwd: Re: Submission of draft-ietf-cat-iakerb-08.txt to IESG]

From: Tim Alsop <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 17:30:30 +0100

Jeffrey wrote:

as you can tell from the discussion, the problem is a lack of people to
discuss the topic from a position of expertise.  Most expertise comes from
experience related to implementation.  Since no one has attempted to
implement this draft I believe it is impossible for us to resolve the
issues.  

If this draft is going to be important to you, I hope you will find the time
to review it closely in the short term.  It would be very bad if this draft
is approved as an RFC simply because of lack of proper review and then in
three months time when you need to implement it you find that you cannot.

-------------

I will try and find time to look at the draft in next few days, but we are
not just interested in this draft. We are looking to get our GSS-API,
SPNEGO, EAP-GSS, 802.1X and IAKERB together to create a solution. There is a
lot of new technology and drafts in different stages of maturity that need
to be considered, the IAKERB is only one of them. I hope this helps you
understand why it may take us a number of months to validate on paper of in
prototype whether IAKERB meets our needs. 

For the reasons explained above - my last posting to this distribution
suggested that we leave it as a draft or perhaps (if possible) move to some
mid-way status between an RFC and draft - is that the Experimental status ?
I noticed that the EAP-GSS draft is in experimental status, so perhaps that
is the right place to put the IAKERB draft ?